Jambands.ca

Wal-Mart ~ The High Cost of Low Prices

fluffhead77

I had to stop when I got to this -

Wal-Mart said it will build the stores in neighborhoods with high crime or unemployment rates, on sites that are environmentally contaminated, or in vacant buildings or malls in need of revitalization.

Sounds peachy!

They talk lots about making jobs, but not about where the money will come from to buy the crap in the stores to keep them going.

Wal-Mart said it will build the stores in neighborhoods with high crime or unemployment rates, on sites that are environmentally contaminated, or in vacant buildings or malls in need of revitalization.

Sounds peachy!

They talk lots about making jobs, but not about where the money will come from to buy the crap in the stores to keep them going.

I'm most bothered by the bolded part.

I heard a statistic this weekend (and not from a "friend's friend", but an academic souce, though I lack a link) that stated that while Wal Mart creates approximately 130 jobs when it moves into a community, roughly one hundred more than that are lost as a direct result of it moving in.

Yep, economic saviors they are.

My question to you is...

How many other horrible corporations do you support by purchasing from them?

There is absolutely no way I could live the life I want to live without supporting horrible business practises. I assume 99% of you have Windows installed on your computer right now. Look at what Microsoft does.

To me, it's like the seal thing...Thier are so many other important things in life.

Mind you...I'll go to Canadian Tire b4 Wal-mart to get Canadian Tire money!

My question to you is...

There is absolutely no way I could live the life I want to live without supporting horrible business practises. I assume 99% of you have Windows installed on your computer right now. Look at what Microsoft does.

I think it's a stretch to compare Wal-Mart to Microsoft. Granted, Microsoft is a ruthlessly competitive corporation (to the point of elinimating competition) much the same way Wal-Mart is, although you'd have a hard time convincing me that Microsoft decimates small towns and abuses the majority of its employees in much the same way that Wal-Mart does.

I think the problem with Wal-Mart is that it gets to the point where its impact is pervasive beyond the point of some people being able to avoid it. When my friends and I have driven down to TN for Bonnaroo a couple of times, we've hard a hard time finding places other than Wal-Mart to buy our groceries. If you don't want to support Microsoft, Coca-Cola, etc., you can often choose not to. Unfortunately with Wal-Mart, it can be practically impossible to shop elsewhere or avoid its impact.

My question to you is...

I think it's a stretch to compare Wal-Mart to Microsoft. Granted' date=' Microsoft is a ruthlessly competitive corporation (to the point of elinimating competition) much the same way Wal-Mart is, although you'd have a hard time convincing me that Microsoft decimates small towns and abuses the majority of its employees in much the same way that Wal-Mart does.

I think the problem with Wal-Mart is that it gets to the point where its impact is pervasive beyond the point of some people being able to avoid it. When my friends and I have driven down to TN for Bonnaroo a couple of times, we've hard a hard time finding places other than Wal-Mart to buy our groceries. If you don't want to support Microsoft, Coca-Cola, etc., you can often choose not to. Unfortunately with Wal-Mart, it can be practically impossible to shop elsewhere or avoid its impact.[/quote']

And urban sprawl and urban rot is intertwined with Wal-Mart and other big box store developments.

but yes, to be fair it would be impossible to totally eliminate from our lives the daily consumer connections we have to horrible companies. But, since we can't be perfect, we can choose to avoid those companies that simply tower over all others in their grotesque, evil ways.

Wal-Mart said it will build the stores in neighborhoods with high crime or unemployment rates' date=' [b']on sites that are environmentally contaminated, or in vacant buildings or malls in need of revitalization.

Sounds peachy!

I'm most bothered by the bolded part.

indeed.

and this is meant to be a good thing? as the whole tone of the article is very wal-mart oriented, i gathering that they think that they are doing a good thing by building on comtaminated land. are they buying it for cheap first?

the whole tone of the article is very "press-releasey." my favourite bile-inducing moment follows....

In February, it recruited former civil rights leader Andrew Young to head a group of community leaders that Wal-Mart funds to speak up on its behalf as Working Families for Wal-Mart. Young told The Associated Press at the time that one of the reasons he supported Wal-Mart was because it was more willing than other retailers to go into low-income urban and rural communities. (my emphasis.)

yep. wal-mart will take anybody's money...

on sites that are environmentally contaminated,

and this is meant to be a good thing? as the whole tone of the article is very wal-mart oriented, i gathering that they think that they are doing a good thing by building on comtaminated land. are they buying it for cheap first?

Actually this could be a good thing. Lots with contaminated land are hard to sell due to environmental regulations. Often it is cheaper for a company to just leave such land empty rather than clean it up and sell it. That's why when a gas station goes out of business the lot will stay empty for years afterwards. Maybe Walmart is proposing to buy contaminated land cheap and clean it up? I don't know though, that sounds a little too altruistic for the Waltons. Perhaps due to the size of the stores they can simply excavate the soil and truck it away in a cost effective manner.

but yes, to be fair it would be impossible to totally eliminate from our lives the daily consumer connections we have to horrible companies. But, since we can't be perfect, we can choose to avoid those companies that simply tower over all others in their grotesque, evil ways.

But what I was trying to say above is that it's sometimes literally impossible to avoid Wal-Mart. Even if one chooses to shop elsewhere, when Wal-Mart obliterates small towns all residents feel the impact in a huge way. You can choose not to drink Coke or use Microsoft operating systems and programs (although the latter can be quite tough), but when Wal-Mart paves over independent and smaller businesses, the element of choice is completely removed, especially for lower-income families who don't have the means to shop elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...