Jambands.ca

David Gilmour review

doug

For anyone who is interested, I came across this review of opening night in NYC of David Gilmour tour

"Last night, David Gilmour kicked off the North American leg of his On an Island tour with a two-set performance at New York’s Radio City Music Hall. Similar to his recent European outing, Gilmour used the first half of his performance to showcase material from On An Island, dipping into Pink Floyd’s canon later in the evening. Performing with a streamlined version of The Division Bell-era Pink Floyd, including founding keyboardist Rick Wright, Gilmour ran through a breadth of material, ranging from Syd Barrett’s “Dominoes†to his own “High Hopes.†During Pink Floyd classics like “Breathe†and “Comfortably Numb,†Gilmour and Wright traded verses, bringing the audience to their feet. On a set-closing version of “Echoes,†Gilmour also debut a new laser show, washing Radio City Music Hall’s balconies in bright green light. Reprising their On An Island cameos, David Crosby and Graham Nash supplied backing vocals on “The Blue†and the album’s title cut, returning at the start of Gilmour’s second set for “Shine on You Crazy Diamond.†In between “Wish You Were Here†and a show-closing “Comfortably Numb,†Crosby, Nash and Gilmour also performed an a cappella version of “Find The Cost Of Freedomâ€, from CSNY’s live LP Four-Way Street. Gilmour will return to Radio City Music Hall tonight for a second performance."

That's pretty much my assessment of everything he's come out with since The Final Cut.

w..w..w..w..whaaat?

division bell has some sublime moments! high hopes? keep talking? and momentary lapse has some classic moments too.

besides, like gilmour had ANYTHING to do with the final cut except for laying down a couple guitar solos :P he probably only showed up for the last 3 days of recording at the studio

wow marco, we agreed on something else....

i must be growing up.....

(but dont worry, the beatles still reak)

what do we agree on? Gilmour's disappointing album or that the show will be great?

And I predict one day you'll have Beatles posters all over your walls and downloading bottlegs from their Hamburg shows in '61. Respect! :P

Two more wake ups until David Gilmour at Massey Hall!

I don't want to be greedy but... I hope that David Crosby and Graham Nash decide to make the trip form New York City with Gilmour to perform at the Toronto gigs as they did in the Big Apple.

Tim

division bell has some sublime moments! high hopes? keep talking? and momentary lapse has some classic moments too.

I don't dispute that - I think he's a brilliant and sensitive musician; he never plays a note that shouldn't be there, and pushes music to the richest heights. I just think in terms of songwriting he comes off a little limp.

besides, like gilmour had ANYTHING to do with the final cut except for laying down a couple guitar solos :P he probably only showed up for the last 3 days of recording at the studio

Probably! That album was definitely Waters with the guys from PF as background musicians; I love it to this day, but it was definitely a signal that the band was in its last, centrifugal moments.