Jambands.ca

Mountain Bike Riders?

Hartamophone

I used to many years ago, but haven't gone in ages. However, I just got my bike back and I'm hoping to do some this summer too. I'll get back to you once (if/when) I get into shape a bit!!

Do you know some good spots around here? Can we take the chairlifts up the local hills in summer?

The best places around here are in the Gatineau Hills, obviously. There are old dirt service roads you can ride if you don't want anything too technical, but the hardest stuff is probably at Fortune. I don't recall if you can take the lifts up or not, but if you're up for a climb, there are some screaming downhill runs.

Finally got a cheapie bike-lugger for the car, which means we can get ourselves en famille into the Gatineaus... in principle... actually, maybe we'll start off for a while in the congenial flatness of the southern Ottawa terrain... :).

I've been loving my $100 Crappy Tire special for ages! Best part is, they seemingly never get stolen.

There is this one wicked downhill in the gatineaus that is unbeleivable...You park at the penguin picnic area, fly down the trail/cross the parkway/keep flying down/cross another road, and it shoots you out in chelsea. It is a tough ride back up but you can take the highway, or get someone with a car, that doesn't bike, meet them in chelsea for a beer, and yer done. It's great if you only have about an hour too spend

If you're in west end there's the Kanata Lakes recreation area. There is about 35km of technical single track there. Its maintained by the Kanata Moutain Bike club - if you google search it, you'll be able to find trail maps n' stuff. Not much for long climbs, but not much for long descents. Its a killer place to cut your teeth on technical stuff.

Fortune sells tickets for the lifts on weekends and once a week during the evening. Its $5 - $10 for a single ride. About $25 for the day. About $150 - $250 for the season. All this is from memory so take the prices with a grain of salt...

Most (not all) of the fun technical stuff in the park is off limits to bikes. Too bad they're such pricks in the park.

There are also phenomenal trails down in the eastern townships if you're into travel.

And, there are a few private systems around Ottawa. If you ride the usual spots enough you may be lucky enough to hook up witb someone maintaining their own space.