Jambands.ca

The Comfort Zone-Voted Toronto's Best Chill Out Club

Dancin man

When I make my way to the studio along College St. on the weekends there's always a crowd of very sketchy looking kids outside that are oozing outta the CZ...even when I caught DownTime, Nero, Tala and other acts there it had a such a twisted vibe...Punk nicknamed it the "Discomfort Zone"... ;):P

Seeing this topic brought back some funny memories.

I wouldn't vote it best chill out. Unless your idea of chilling out is slipping into a heroin induced coma in a pile of your buddies vomit.

seriously though, it always smelt like puke and your feet would stick to the ground.

good times though... some very good times. The time we played after phil was one of my favourite nero shows as far as fun went.

Yep, what a night that was!!! My first time meeting bouche, Ms. Hux, Booche, Douglas and many others as we all were at the front of the stage for Phil & Friends and then off to the CZ to take in a packed Nero show that was S-W-E-E-T!!!

Hey Pablo, I meant to ask, when did you pick up the PRS? I've been playing your Mavericks set all week! Looking forward to your CD!

I now return you to your thoughts & comments on the Comfort Zone ;)

I remember that phil/nero show.

I ended up wearing a robot costume. Jesus.

The COmfort Zone. I loved that place, too bad it had to fall to the sketched out raver crowd, the sketched out hippy crowd was much better.

Here's to Cosmic Steve and Doug. Cheers for all the Wednesday nights of great music.

The last time I was going by the Comfort Zone, it was about 10:30am and I saw a guy stumble out of the place with a wounded and bloody head, and bloody clothes, and he was all confused and standing in the middle of that BUSY intersection looking all around like he was very lost.

You sure the guy with the wounded and bloody head wasn't me? Last time I was in that neck of the woods the Silver Dollar skinhead and his aryan nation stomped my ass. I guess it's sort of a claim to fame really, I mean how many people can really say they've been stomped by a full on gang of skinheads?

Seriously though the Comfort Zone just too dodgy to get my head around. Some really legendary shows - the surprise New Deal, Nero post Phil (although they were really on I have to agree with Weirdness that that show was as good as it was since everyone was peaking balls!), Lake Trout, Fat Cats and countless others. Always love running into Cosmic Steve, his happenings being the predecessor of the Zone (I want to say Bathurst and Dupont) - prior to that there was 309 (Parliament) which was a great hippy booze can without the booze. Me and Johnny Sherrick (RIP) saw 10,000 Turtles Named Neil there after the Band (w. Billy Preston) at the Ontario Place Forum circa '89. First time I did micro dot. Ate a whole box of mini-wheats without milk after getting home way past curfew.

yrstruly,

Luke

I've got some great photos from the Zone.. I'll hopefully get them up soon.

I booked a pile of shows there... for the Aaron MacDonald Band (5-6 shows 2001-2003; including a couple Groove Wednedays), as well as a triple bill in 2002 - EVOLVE FESTIVAL PREVIEW w/ THE JIMMY SWIFT BAND, AARON MACDONALD & GRAND THEFT BUS.. now that was messy! I also caught some great shows by Fat Cats, Burt Neilson Band, Resinators at the ZONE... it was the home of the Jam. I've done my best to bring that same musical ethos to the El Mocambo over the past 2 years... I hope that everyone sees the El Mocambo as a vast improvement.

Great memories!

You sure the guy with the wounded and bloody head wasn't me? Last time I was in that neck of the woods the Silver Dollar skinhead and his aryan nation stomped my ass. I guess it's sort of a claim to fame really, I mean how many people can really say they've been stomped by a full on gang of skinheads?

Are you serious?!

Good Christ, what a fucked up world we live in.