Jambands.ca

Ottawa Music 4/12 - 4/15

bradm

It looks like Ottawa may have a four-in-a-row run of good shows this week:

So first up is Janine Stoll. I saw her on April 2, and liked what she did a lot: intelligent and captivating lyrics, a great voice, and fine backing music (from her and the other members of her trio, who are also the guitar and bass player from Mr. Something Something). IIRC, the April 2 show was only $5, and it started and ended early, so this should be a good ease-in to the rest of the madness for this week(end).

Aloha,

Brad

Janine put on a great show last night (mattm, testify!); it was shorter than most shows, but for a weeknight (at a bar with far fewer patrons than Janine rightfully deserves :(), and the first of four days of show, it was a treat. In talking to her last night, she said she wanted to get hooked up for uploads to the Live Music Archive, so once that gets set up, I should be able to make the two shows of hers that I've recorded available.

Next up: Soul Jazz Orchestra tonight at Babylon. Who all's in for this?

Aloha,

Brad

(at a bar with far fewer patrons than Janine rightfully deserves :()

Guilty :(. Too many adverse variable came into play last night.

In talking to her last night, she said she wanted to get hooked up for uploads to the Live Music Archive, so once that gets set up, I should be able to make the two shows of hers that I've recorded available.

Phew :). You're awesome.

She blew my mind and I'd fall in love with her if I figured there was any chance there, hehe. I was absolutely spellbound with her singing and lyrics and then add Liam and Paul as accompaniment, wow. Great little show and it's really disapointing that there weren't more folks there. Like she said when I talked to her after, I had a perma smile the whole show and it wasn't just from the greens.

Thanks, brad, for the recording of her last show. I'm about to start listening to it.

SJO kicked it hard last night. They had a female vocalist with them for about half of each of the three sets. The highlight for me was probably their cover of "Space Is The Place" (with vocals) by Sun Ra, but by mid-way through the third set, it started to all run together into one big river of funk for me. :)

Two down, two to go: bring on The Spades (for free) tonight!

Aloha,

Brad

Hmmm...The Pour House was decidedly under-attended last night. Are Good Friday shows not that good for draw? I'm hoping there's a bigger crowd tonight, because The Spades were in fine form last night (even debuting a new song; it's nice to see them continuing to develop new material, even as they're finishing off the new album).

Aloha,

Brad