Jambands.ca

mp3 encoders

Dr_Evil_Mouse

I would strongly suggest not using mkw. It's great for turning shn's into wav's and vice versa but don't use it as an mp3 encoder. It's very, very old and a lot has changed since then. It also uses the BladEnc encoder which was abandoned a while (some couple years) ago.

CDEX is pretty good since it uses LAME to encode but it uses an older version. Your best bet is to get the latest edition of LAME. You may have to compile it as the license only allows it to be given out in source format. The you get:

RazorLame

which is the frontend (or GUI) for LAME. By far the best free mp3 encoder you can find.

If you want LAME, let me know and I'll send you the latest version, compiled, with Razorlame as frontend or instructions on how to make CDEX use the newest LAME.

When you pirate MP3s, you're downloading COMMUNISM

Thanks, everybody. Matt, I'll see how the CDex works out, and may return with panicked questions.

My key interest in it right now is trying to get some Harvard Mouse tracks up on the HM site, which seems kind of bare without any audio. I'll be sure to throw up a link if ever this gets accomplished.

My key interest in it right now is trying to get some Harvard Mouse tracks up on the HM site, which seems kind of bare without any audio. I'll be sure to throw up a link if ever this gets accomplished.

Well, you've got enough info on mp3 encoders, but you could always give permission at archive.org, upload some shows, then link to entire shows there from the HM website also. Just a thought.

Further to what Esau said, there are two big advantages to using archive.org: the tracks take up no space on your band's server, and they come directly from archive.org, so use up none of the band's download capacity. This will also allow people who tape HM shows to upload them directly, without having to send the show to the band for the band to process. (And note that you can also link to individual tracks if you want.)

Aloha,

Brad

Do they not also do the conversions for you? I think you told me before that you just need to upload the shn's and they'll make the mp3's. Not sure on that one.

If you need a hand or you need some encoding or even website work, let me know. I work across the street from algonquin college (plus I'll be in school there full time all summer) so I can easily grab a cd from you and I love to help spread the music (or music info) and I never charge anything.

Do they not also do the conversions for you? I think you told me before that you just need to upload the shn's and they'll make the mp3's. Not sure on that one.

Yup: they convert to two different MP3s (64k and VBR), as well as OGG.

Aloha,

Brad

Sorry, I dropped the ball thanking you guys for all that. We've certainly given the Archive some thought, and may yet if we're all content with the Ottawa show at the end of the month (we're all so damn picky :P ).

[color:purple]You're also assuming someone's going to tape Harvard Mouse in Ottawa at the end of the month. I'm not sure I will. The music yearns to be free! Why tape a band that won't allow its music to be shared? I challenge you to allow uploads to the Live Music Archive. I wonder if, given the number of males (I hesitate to use the term "men") in the band, there's enough cojones to allow uploads, come what may.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

PapaDasSmurf.gif

"The conditions of bourgeois society are too narrow to comprise the wealth created by them. And how does the bourgeoisie get over these crises? On the one hand by enforced destruction of a mass of productive forces; on the other, by the conquest of new markets, and by the more thorough exploitation of old ones."

There, you heard it from Papa Smurf himself ;).

you have to rip the track to wav first to be able to do anything with it. .cda isn't really a file per say, it's more like the info about the particular track on the cd. The ripper will read that info and make individual wavs from it.

the best I've found to rip, convert, etc, etc, all in one is: Easy CDDA Extractor. You have to pay for it (technically) but it's worth it and uses whatever LAME you put in for the conversions. It will do all the regular stuff such as getting track names from freedb, etc.

Edited by Guest