Jambands.ca

Iran's Nuclear Program

Dr_Evil_Mouse

I try not thinking about this too much - I mean, nuclear nightmares have really fallen out of vogue in favour of super-viruses - but with Bush talking about tactical nuclear strikes against Iran, Russia trying to tell them to just cut it out, and Israel saying they'd be in over their heads if they got involved, I'm wondering why nobody is pointing out that nuclear power is just stupid and they'd be much better off exploring solar and wind options.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's been plenty of nights when i think of these kinds of things and what could escalate between two completely stupid nuclear powers and i do everything i can to suppress it and file it somewhere in the back of my mind. just cuz the reality of it all is just so real.

i'd be all for a media ban of nuclear talk. if it happens, i sure as hell don't want to know it's heading my way prior to.

they'd be much better off exploring solar and wind options.

The sun and wind won't blow Israel off the map now would it? That'd have to be a lot of wind...

Iran would have to give Israel a huge blow job. Heh. Lame. But I'm laughing.

a shitload.. all of this talk of who has what kind of nukes 'destabilizes' the region, not that it ever was stable. investors get scared.

yesterday at lunch i heard a barrel was up to $79.. then i went to fill up and gas was at $1.06 with a friggin' fifteen minute wait at the pumps. i'm starting to think over $1.00 at the pumps is now the "norm".

It's precisely that that makes me think that they're completely fucked up, with the government that's just come into power. The only thing that mitigates that kind of talk is the word "brinkmanship", but the fact that the US, and Israel by extension, have managed to accumulate so much spite against them in the last couple of years makes words like "brinksmanship" ring pathetically hollow.

"Axis of evil" my ass. Someone should hang David Frum by his nuts for that little bit of fuckery. Iran might be something very different, very admirable, right now, just as it might have been had the US not been screwing around with it very recently history and in the 1950s alike.

the US is like an annoyingly, constant pin-prick, that just keeps pricking and pricking and pricking and pricking until finally one day, the pricked pricks back.. in a very, very big way.

i'm sure Iran can be very serious. simply holding missiles with nuclear capabilities is serious.

If I were an Iranian government, I would want nukes too. Invading middle-eastern Muslim countries who happen to have lots of oil seems to be all the rage these days, so a couple of nukes aimed at Israel makes for a handy deterrent, especially when the US is mulling over the possibility of dropping a few on Iranian soil. It may well be the only way they can avoid getting nuked at this point; who knows what rolls around in Georgie's mind? I wouldn't be surprised if the decision has already been made. I'm a "no nukes is good nukes" kind of guy, but I can understand the Iranian's position. Why should the US be the world's police in terms of who gets nukes anyway? They've displayed more will to actually use them than any other country. Perhaps they should lead by example and disarm themselves.

They've displayed more will to actually use them than any other country. Perhaps they should lead by example and disarm themselves.

I wonder if this point ever came up in argument, what their response would be? I've been trying to pinpoint the time in history-- some major world event which took place that gave the good, ole US of A the balls to think that they were now the judges of what is good and what is evil. like when their heads became so damn big.. and WHY. it mind boggles me because i can't really identify with it.. i couldn't imagine imposing your way of life, your values THAT MUCH upon another being. i certainly wouldn't do it on an individual, human scale, and to think it's being done on a GLOBAL scale friggin' sickens me. i hate thinking imperialism is "normal", but i'm starting to think that's entirely naive of me.

They've displayed more will to actually use them than any other country. Perhaps they should lead by example and disarm themselves.

I wonder if this point ever came up in argument' date=' what their response would be? I've been trying to pinpoint the time in history-- some major world event which took place that gave the good, ole US of A the balls to think that they were now the judges of what is good and what is evil. like when their heads became so damn big.. and WHY. it mind boggles me because i can't really identify with it.. i couldn't imagine imposing your way of life, your values THAT MUCH upon another being. i certainly wouldn't do it on an individual, human scale, and to think it's being done on a GLOBAL scale friggin' sickens me. i hate thinking imperialism is "normal", but i'm starting to think that's entirely naive of me.[/quote']

I think it started around here...

Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

i couldn't imagine imposing your way of life, your values THAT MUCH upon another being. i certainly wouldn't do it on an individual, human scale, and to think it's being done on a GLOBAL scale friggin' sickens me.

Sounds like simple "power" to me; Max Weber's definition of that is still my favourite: "the probability that one actor in a social relationship will be in a position to exercise his will despite resistance." As a parent, I'm reminded of this constantly, and try to be sober and circumspect about it. The States, though, tends to carry on (in another of my favourite phrases) as the drunken frat-boy of the world. The decision to use the bomb at the end of WWII was done for strategic reasons other than dealing with a country whose military strength was pretty much spent by that point.

This is naturally going to draw the fire of anyone who poses the question of whether we'd live in the shadow of an Islamic/Communist/Nihonjiron (Japanese)/etc. regime, or a Christian/capitalist/secular one.

They all suck in their own ways. I respect the built-in possibility for change in our own, but given the extent to which it's steered by money, chronic insecurity, and the ability to reduce all things and persons to stuff that you trade and profit from, I'd never want to go foisting that worldview on anyone else.

Guest Low Roller

Apparently it will take Iran at least 5 years to develop a nuclear bomb according to all the nuclear experts. The number of centrifuges that Iran says it has running to enrich the uranium is barely enough to run a power plant, let alone build a nuke.

I tend to believe that Iran is just trying to wag their dick at the USA for the simple reason that they see the USA as the anthesis of Muslim culture.

There's a lot of fucked up things going on in the Middle East region, and it was only a matter of time before a muslim country decided to get vocal about Israel and start causing some shit. Israel has been considered an occupying force since 1967 according to the UN, and nothing has been done about it. Iraq walks into Kuwait and a WEEK later US troops are busting heads. Something isn't right there.

Things got so bad in the Palestine region that a militant group was democratically voted in by the people in hopes of finally putting an end to the occupation, only to have the US oppose that very act of democracy they are trying to sow in Iraq. Someone is showing a very blatant double-standard.

I'm really worried about the future at this point as I do not see any friendly resolution to the problem.

On the issue of nukes, everybody has got them: The US, Israel (undeclared of course), India, Pakistan, China, Japan, the Russians, ...

In the meanwhile North Korea, all but forgotten, is sitting on a pile of nukes all pointed across the most densely armed demiliterized zone in the world in a conflict I completely do not understand.

They all suck in their own ways. I respect the built-in possibility for change in our own, but given the extent to which it's steered by money, chronic insecurity, and the ability to reduce all things and persons to stuff that you trade and profit from, I'd never want to go foisting that worldview on anyone else.

precisely why i'm not in favour of imposing our culture on anyone else as well. we tend to judge people/nations/etc. as if they knew what we know and forget that they don't know what we know (and vice versa). the freedoms that we consider to be "fundamental" wouldn't even be considered by other cultures... unless of course they are dropped in, pamphlet form, by low flying bombers, mass mailing middle-east style. a kind of "see what we have? jealous yet? well you're only a regime change away from your super walmart!!"

I dunno. It's hard because i do appreciate my life, our culture, opportunity in general and in that alone, would want to share it with the world. But there are definately very big evils associated with the way things go around here that i think could be borderline on overiding "opportunity". i picture a weigh scale in my head and it teeters back and forth.