Jambands.ca

Give anything up for Lent? How's that going?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I gave up alcohol for Lent. That was 36 days ago. I figured I would do it as a test of my will power. So far so good, however I am craving that first beer on Monday pretty bad now...

Anybody else give up anything?

:D! Couldn't you have at least tried sneaking in some Evian for a cleaner conscience (and colon!)?

I gave up giving things up for Lent. The last time I forewent anything in a deliberate or programmatic way was when I stopped myself from consuming beer and coffee until I finally finished writing my thesis. Net effect: I did hurry that up a bit, but it turned me into a wino, and the day I went to make my first coffee I completely spazzed, spilled two baskets of grounds all over the kitchen floor before I could even hit the On switch, and nearly dropped the pot from caffeine frenzy. My addictions and I now have since developed a healthier respect for one another.

I do like the idea of Lent, though; Ramadan has much to commend it as well. Each speaks volumes about getting into the experience of people who don't have enough (or, ok, are about to get nailed up because they're taken for subversive revolutionaries), to tailor other behaviour accordingly.

I gave up Christianity for lent about 8 years ago and I've never looked back.

What he said, only more than eight years ago.

It's kind of interesting that yet another of the many things that all religions seem to have in common is the practice of self-denial.

I gave up Christianity for lent about 8 years ago and I've never looked back.

What he said' date=' only more than eight years ago.

It's kind of interesting that yet another of the many things that all religions seem to have in common is the practice of self-denial.

[/quote']

morals and virtue and carnal forebearance...

pic2.jpg

Mixed thing, imo - I think self-denial is an important thing, insofar as it can curb arrogance, raise how others are regarded in the big picture, and so on; the flip-side is that self-denial gets inverted to self-preservation - "I'll deny myself lots of stuff knowing that the Big Payoff is coming down the line." It's a weird, sublimated greed, but it seems hardly ever to get pointed out. How do you begin to challenge self-preservation?

Guest Low Roller

Setting all the religious stuff aside, I just wanted to see if I could do it. It was more or less a bet with myself to give up something I really enjoy for 40 days and not become a goobering mess in the meantime.

It's definitely not been easy.

Guest Low Roller

However, technically, Asparagus is correct that Lent should end on Palm Sunday... According to biblical canon Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, therefore his 40 day trial was over.

Silly Christians. They can't even get their own religion right.

Guest Low Roller

Easter Sunday is the last day of Lent, not that it's over on Sunday.

As far as I know only Fridays are supposed to be fast days, not Sundays. But I could be wrong.

I think that I am actually trying to understand what Lent is traditionally (ie. increased prayer, fasting and charity) and how it relates to what people do now, as opposed to what people actually do now (give up something they like).

As far as I know, Sunday is never a fast day.

March 8th was Ash Wednesday... was that what you meant GM?

Any other Polish traditions that you upkeep?

I need my calender. I definitley started March 1st- which I thought was Ash Wednesday. I also thought it was over Palm Sunday.. I'm not really doing it for God i suppose.

other polish traditions upkept? yes- Xmas eve, perogies, kielbassa, guilt, smarminess... the usual.

Get beer drunk at Babylon!

Aloha,

Brad

Ok brad!! as long as we can do some 'Corn Running' after the show...:

"corn running", which apparently is something done by teenagers in the country who have access to a cornfield: you get completely ripped, then all run into the corn as fast as you can, get lost, bump into people, make out in the dark, etc.

;)