Jambands.ca

Give anything up for Lent? How's that going?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller
whoa whoa whoa now boys

this is thread hijacking at its worst

you're making lowroller scowl at his computer screen

Not quite dude. hahaha...

"corn running", which apparently is something done by teenagers in the country who have access to a cornfield: you get completely ripped, then all run into the corn as fast as you can, get lost, bump into people, make out in the dark, etc.

Where's this from? When I was young we did this all the time. You don't even have to run into the field fast, just walk. You get lost no matter what if the corn is high enough. Shrooms and such are better than.

I've never given anything up for lent. I think I'm supposed to be catholic but I have no real idea what lent is. I was born easter sunday though.

I've never given anything up for lent. I think I'm supposed to be catholic but I have no real idea what lent is. I was born easter sunday though.

Yeah, all these holy-days/holidays coinciding one on top of the other send my head spinning. I'm an absolute bitch to my vices, too, so I wouldn't even dare try the lent thing.

Re: the 'supposed to be catholic' and giving up Xianity sentiments earlier in the thread ... I imagine that the extent of one's religiousity has a whole lot to do with what was around when we were growing up. Religion can be downright subversive if you've grown up in a steadfastedly (stubbornly?) secular environment. I suspect that when it comes right down to it, we all err on the side of rebellion. :)

Lazlo will like to know that I have given up breathing -n- it's going pretty well...

On a serious note I brought this issue up with my students.

* I put a twist on it in that I try and have them think about sacrifice for others. It is funny when you catch them off gaurd -n- get them to think about selflessness. While they may not come as big as we might like, they stop and reflect for a moment. -n- that is a great thing.

Religion can be downright subversive if you've grown up in a steadfastedly (stubbornly?) secular environment. I suspect that when it comes right down to it, we all err on the side of rebellion. :)

Very, very true. Makes me think of that song, Daughters of Feminists , by Nancy White.

We were in Montreal yesterday and today and took the girls through some of the old churches, including St. Joseph's, where we did the little tour of the Stations of the Cross in the lower chapel. Way I figure, if I'm not careful, I might end up with evangelical or conservative Catholic kids, which would just shatter me ;).

That said, I think tomorrow's movie offering will have to be Life of Brian, just to keep everything in balance.