Jambands.ca

Quinn Fired

Tissue Man

Holy crap, for once I agree. JFJ provided Pat Quinn with absolutely nothing this year. Look at his pickups that he signed in the offseason. He did a terrible job of determining what he needed for the new NHL. I didn't always agree with all of Pat Quinn's decisions, but he turn our franchise around and made them a very competitive team. I don't think JFJ will get the axe, but with the job he did he should. Listen to him talk, he is exactly like Ken Dryden was, he talks without ever saying anything of importance.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think JFJ only been there a few years. I think they should give him a chance to redeem himself, given the fact that nobody knew how the NEW NHL would play out. The fact is Pat Quinns coaching style does not work in the new NHL and that was proven by both the season AND the olympics. I think its much easier to change a GMs philosophy then it is to change a coaches coaching style.

I've never liked Pat Quinns coaching style anyway, and I enjoyed watching the Leafs suffer through his poor ice management skills and neverending chemistry and dressing room problems.

Did anyone see the press conference. It was awesome. The reporters were all over JF.

Steve Simmons (who i'm not normally a big fan of) was great. He said to JF...

You are the one who signed Lindros, Allison, Oneil, Belfore. How do you explain the team was better when they were hurt? Was Quinn expected to bench them when they did play?

I know I knock the Leafs A LOT but JF should have gone way before Quinn.

Simmons has had a good year. He's been dead-on with the Raptors and the Leafs, although it's easier to write and alot more interesting to read about teams when they suck.

WTF???????????

For once I am in complete agreement with Jaimoe but I wouldnt say JF is as good as gone.

I would have loved to hear his answer to that question and how he tried to talk his way out of that one. Look at what JFJ did at the trading deadline, he picked up Richardson and Suglobov. That was not a lot of help. But I liked what Quinn did the next few games after the deadline, he put Suglobov on the first line. It seemed he was saying f*ck you Jr, if this is our big pickup to change the team, I will put him on the first line.

The fact is Pat Quinns coaching style does not work in the new NHL and that was proven by both the season AND the olympics.

how did the olympic game change between 2002 and 2006? it wasnt the "NEW" olympics this year...

They used the same rule changes on obstruction calls, so yes it was the new olympics. The fact is with obstruction taken out of the picture it is tougher to grind out a win. Hockey is more focused on speed, which I personally like. And in order to be a good defenseman you have to have speed and good positioning. You can't hook and grab from behind whenever a player doesn't have the puck anymore.

Let's be serious. Caspien could have coached the team in 2002 and we still would have won.

I think I could have coached the Leafs to the cup a few times in the past 10 years. :smirk:

Honestly, the leafs had many chances on many good teams over the past 10 years and they blew it. the last season before the lockout I said to a friend that this is the last chance for the Leafs to win the cup because they are gonna have to rebuild, their too old with almost no rising stars.

By the way....

THE LEAFS SUCK!!!

GO HABS & FLAMES!!!

Hockey is more focused on speed, which I personally like. And in order to be a good defenseman you have to have speed and good positioning. You can't hook and grab from behind whenever a player doesn't have the puck anymore.

you inadvertantly hit on the point i was trying to make: i cant blame quinn for the olympic bullshit this year because i dont think we put together the best team for that tournament. we had a great team, but in the end, not the team we should have had. take the olympics outta your original comment and we're on the same page.

I can blame Quinn. We had an excellent Olympic team this year, maybe not good enough to win gold but definitely good enough to score some goals and be competitive. They didn't even show a glimpse of their potential throughout the whole tournament. I blame that solely Quinn, it is a coaches job to find chemistry between players and supply a coaching stategy to keep the games competitive.

I can blame Quinn. We had an excellent Olympic team this year, maybe not good enough to win gold but definitely good enough to score some goals and be competitive. They didn't even show a glimpse of their potential throughout the whole tournament. I blame that solely Quinn, it is a coaches job to find chemistry between players and supply a coaching stategy to keep the games competitive.

The Olympic tournament is too short to develop that kind of chemistry. Secondly, that was Gretzkys team. Quinn was the head coach but that team was controlled by Wayne. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

I was at my buddies tonight and he was so for John Ferguson. It got to the point where I was disgusted. I said...

"Cimmer why do you like the guy so much?"

he said

"I played with him for a few years"

my reply was

"No wonder the Frontenacs fired you"

hehe