Jambands.ca

good movie // bad movie

gentlemonkey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fantastic slice of violent social satire is the Japanese flick Battle Royale (based on the novel of the same name). A highschool class gets forced onto a deserted island by their teacher and are forced to fight each other to the death. It's purchase-worthy, especially the DTS special edition. Famed director and actor Beat Takeshi Kitano plays the teacher and Chiaki Kuriyama from Ringu (evil ghost Sadako) and Kill Bill Vol. I (she played Go Go) plays one of the students - Tarantino used elements Kuriyama's fight scene in Battle Royale (including casting her) and used it in Kill Bill for Go Go's famous fight scene. I fucking LOVE THIS FILM!! Beat Takeshi rules! Just ask the man Quentin Tarantio. I dare you to rent Violent Cop, Gonin, Fireworks, Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman or even Sonatine.

Battle_Royale.jpg

Edited by Guest

I dare you to rent Violent Cop, Gonin, Fireworks, Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman or even Sonatine.

Haven't seen the others ones you listed, but the newish Zatoichi rules. I love the way they work the music in (especially with movement ... the peasants in the field).

Battle Royale and Battle Royale II are movies I've meant to see for awhile, but somehow never feel like I'm in the mood for them when it comes down to it.

so jaimoe, does that have a 'lord of the flies' element to it? or is it basically a fight movie?

There's an element of Lord Of The Flies in the film, but it's futuristic with themes of revenge against adults and society. It's not a genre fight movie like Chinese films by John Woo etc...

I'd say the feeling that the students have thoughout is one of desperation, disbelief and general shock that they have been placed in this situation by teachers as part of some warped social experiment.

BTW, the sequel ain't worth watching.

any word on Hostel?

Ask your bro. He liked it. Andre told me tht if you like Eli Roth's first film, Cabin Fever, then you'll like this one. I'm thinking if The Devil's Rejects is your thing (I liked it), then you'll enjoy Hostel since they are both modern day Grind-house flicks.

• 4 weeks later...
FANTASTIC: Dig (documentary about Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols)

TERRIBLE: A Sound Of Thunder (Douglas's moving picking privledges are officially revoked)

BAD: Hostel

Not if you like film-noir, so I wouldnt recommend it to hippies. Critics may have trashed it but this thing serves the only purpose it intends to serve. Most of you shouldnt rent it. If you liked Cabin Fever than it's probably for you.

Dig = really awesome

Hostel = wtf --> one crazy movie that I somehow enjoyed