Jambands.ca

Google Ads of the Beast

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Haha. No, I hadn't. I wonder what triggered those ads on a site like this?

I just spent some time kicking around the site ... seem like Seventh-Day Adventists, although they don't identify themselves that way. The church (Catholic and Protestant alike) is evil, the United States is evil, Bush and his ilk are bad news, there will be national enforcement of religious observance on Sunday which will be the last straw, etc.., etc..

Soon the USA will renounce its religious freedom to enforce Sunday observance (the mark of the beast).This means Protestant Churches will control the government to accomplish their agenda. When this happens, the USA will have made an image to the Roman Catholic Church, uniting church with state. Then USA will speak "as a dragon" and exercise "all the power of the first beast" Rev. 13:11, 12 ; she will have the same spirit of intolerance and persecution that was manifested by the first beast, the papacy.

In wonder if they're in cahoots with people like Ian Paisley and the Free Presbyterians (check out the link for "Rome" - standard fare, but still pretty jarring).

While Paisley did sully his hands by getting elected to the European Parliament, he did distinguish himself by heckling the Pope during a session of it.

Oh the fun you can have with apocalyptic scripture!

Wasn't familiar with Paisley ... ah well, I guess somebody has got to keep the "protest" in "protestant". He's certainly not ready to make peace with Catholicism :)

The two groups do seem to have a whole lot in common. Doubt they are in cahoots though. From The Free Presbyterian Church website:

This commandment does not say that man is to remember “the seventh day to keep it holy,†but he is to “remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.†We point this out because of the error of many in insisting that the word sabbath means “seventh.†It does not. As already noted, the word “sabbath†means rest or cessation. The Lord simply commands us to keep holy the day of rest. Moreover, the fourth commandment does not state that “the seventh day of the week is the sabbath.†Rather, it states that “the seventh day is the sabbath.†In other words, by the term “the seventh day†the Lord speaks of the day following the six days of labor, whatever those six days of labour might be.

That much alone would have the folks from the google ads site apoplectic. It's their central issue, Ellen White style. It matters very very much to them.

Oh the fun you can have with apocalyptic scripture!

Heh. For sure! I can't help but think that the people who are compelled towards some sort of ministry and yet spend all of their time dicking around in the dreamy metaphor and cryptic verses of revelation got their priorities mangled somewhere along the way. Although I do get a hell of a kick out of Jack Van Impe when he gets really revved up. :)

The two groups do seem to have a whole lot in common. Doubt they are in cahoots though.

Oh no, I would doubt it too - the FBers are way to anal about the stickiest little bits of theology to get along with anyone but themselves. Steve Bruce has a great couple of books on them that detail all the schisms that went down just over a few decades.

Gotcha.

While we're at it, I'd like to solicit your thoughts about the Emerging Church phenomenon.

I find that I tune in over here (open source theology) every now and again, just to see what's going on. I like the high level of debate, critical thought and (polite) disagreement that characterizes the exchanges. Reminds me a lot of what turned me on to the quakers, but with some of that energy and richness that I sadly find missing when I spy in on most contemporary quaker dialogue. Mind you, the quakers are sort of distracted right now, and it's understandable.

Speaking of which, I notice Quakerbooks.org has a new release called Godless For God's Sake: Nontheism In Contemporary Quakerism, but they are already out of stock.