Jambands.ca

It's All Too Much

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Hey D.E.Mouse, If ya want a good "All Too Much" (and I know your the kind of guy who needs a rush now and then) I'm kinda partial to the version from a week before in at the Specrtum in Philly on the 18th.

Vince has the pumpin' "Brent" vibe going on Phil's playing dive bomber with his bass and there is an electric bug zapper feel to the energy. Listen in the guitar solo when Jerry's got the trumpet thing going, he finaly hits "The Trumpet Voluntary" just as Vince is coming back with a verse, missed oppurtunity!!!

If the All to Much don't get you, the "Visions" will. Try to make it to the end of the show because it is the best version that the Dead ever played (withoutBDofcourse), IMHO. Jerry's vocals are BANG on with emotion+conviction, and the band responds.

I wasen't sure what to do after I listened to it the first time.

Turn up LOUD for best results. And be ready for it...here's your cue...

"Ain't it just like the night

to play tricks

when you're tryin' to be so quiet..."

If the All to Much don't get you, the "Visions" will. Try to make it to the end of the show because it is the best version that the Dead ever played (withoutBDofcourse), IMHO. Jerry's vocals are BANG on with emotion+conviction, and the band responds.

Yup, I totally agree. That version is on Fallout From The Philzone. I still get chills every time I hear it.

hhehehee...they played it at a show you were at...welcome to your forgetful years (~):)

No! I'm not that far gone' date=' yet ;). Name the show - you sure it wasn't that Buckeye that I missed?

[/quote']

according to deadbase,

(17) 07-02-95 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, In. (Sun)

1: H. C. Sunshine*, Walking Blues*, Dire Wolf*, All Over Now*, Broken Arrow*, Desolation Row*,

Tennessee Jed, Let It Grow*

2: Scarlet*> Fire*> Victim*>All Too Much> New Speedway*> Drumz> Attics*> Sugar Magnolia E:

Mighty Quinn*

*final version fences crashed after "Broken Arrow" - final/last "Desolation Row": 10-10-94 [61] - "Fire"

was first verse only

...which doesn't jive with the memory i thought i had of seeing it done in buffalo with you and cj. i'm thinking that the memory of the show itself, which is vaguely trickling back as i think about it (hmmm...i wonder if i have that show....must go look....) anyway, i wonder if the content of the show was eclipsed by the fence and all the cops and stuff. i can still hear the low rumbling sound of the generators that were running the lights as we walked out through the hole in the fence :(

in the context of that evening, "all too much" was an inspired choice....

edit to add...currently downloading the show from archive. sadly it's 64k mp3, but, well, i remember having 5th generation aud recordings and being happy to have them...

Edited by Guest

Yeah, ok... :) - that would explain it! I had the actual content of that show pretty much buried by all that bullshit that had gone down. Plus, I never got a copy of the show itself (thanks for the tip, am pulling it down right now, cheesy quality notwithstanding).

It's funny, I came across an old stash of Duprees Diamond News and so on from the latter years a couple of days ago, and the '94 retrospective in one of them was full of just about nothing but how fast everything seemed to be sliding downhill. (Maybe "funny" isn't quite the right word.)