Jambands.ca

Spades + Sons in Kingston Tonite!

Dr. J

The Merchant Tap House

6A Princess St.

10 pm

Free show.

The Spades w/Travis Good (Sadies)

I suspect this may be their last show together for a while. The Spades have an album to finish and The Sadies have a live CD/DVD to release, so things are gonna get busy.

Hope some folks can make it out.

Great nite! Full house and the boys were on fire. Travis Good was absolutely smokin'! Opened his set (the middle set) with a blistering version of Maggie's Farm and never looked back. Later in the evening, he rejoined The Spades and Gord Sinclair of The Hip for a rendition of 49 Tons that i swear rattled the gates at Old Fort Henry.

Did you see any tapers?

Alas, KevO, no tapers. (Someone videotaped the entire proceedings). Really hoping when these guys get to Ottawa or Hamilton we'll get a recording. Don't know when. Spades are headed to the studio and Sadies are headed to the road with Jon Spencer.

Side note: as excited as Travis is about the Sadies' live CD, he's just as excited about the soundtrack they've done for the upcoming documentary on "Big Daddy" Roth. Says we may see Brian Wilson or Billy Gibbons or both on it.

Sorry, Ad, can't help you on that one.

As you know, The Sadies are playing a couple of sold-out shows in June with The Hip & Weakerthans at Fort York. I would assume the label folks would want it on the streets before then, but I really don't know.

Hell I don't even know what's up with The Spades album :o Here's what I do know from talking to people Saturday night:

Aaron Holmberg, the engineer at the Bathouse Studio, has worked extensively with The Spades both in the studio and on the road and says they're doing some of the best work he's heard them do. Said they just laid down a sweet mix of On My Mind (a Phorbesie note).

Sinclair who is producing the disc says they are seriously considering the inclusion of a live song on the album. That being the case, I told him where he could find an absolutely kickass version of The Protestor (a bradm note).

The Sadies are scheduled to play Ottawa on Friday, May 12, at Babylon, opening up for Jon Spencer and Matt Verta-Ray.

They are also acting as the backing band for Heavy Trash (Spencer and Verta-Ray). This will be an awesome show, I hope all you who doubt the Sadies can make it to be converted. I think tickets are $15.

AD

Sinclair who is producing the disc says they are seriously considering the inclusion of a live song on the album. That being the case, I told him where he could find an absolutely kickass version of The Protestor (a bradm note).

If you mean the one from JMATS 2006-04-15, while I agree is does kick serious mass, there are a couple of snags. First, it contains a snippet of another artist's work (a lyrical tease from Bruce Springsteen's "57 Channels And Nothing On"). Second, the song actually segues into another, so that particular track ends abruptly; I guess it could be faded out during production, maybe?

That said, it'd be an honour and a pleasure to have some of my modest efforts included in an official release. :)

Aloha,

Brad

yeah don't know what Sinclair was thinking. Send the Bathouse crew on the road with some sort of portable rig and a specific song in mind? I dunno, but it was an opportunity to highlight the work of one of our damn fine tapers, so i took it ;)