Jambands.ca

The End is Near

Freeker

This multi-tiered internet thing is getting old. I mean how many ways do you need to pay for the internet before you snap?

You pay your internet provider so that you can download at a certain speed with a certain amount of bandwidth (for many, unlimited).

Then the content provider pays their host to upload a certain amount at a certain speed per month. Just imagine what google pays to allow free downloading of their videos? Anyway, now the people that are getting paid for this bandwidth want MORE money, yet they're already getting paid from both ends!

it's sick...really.

This multi-tiered internet thing is getting old. I mean how many ways do you need to pay for the internet before you snap?

You pay your internet provider so that you can download at a certain speed with a certain amount of bandwidth (for many, unlimited).

Then the content provider pays their host to upload a certain amount at a certain speed per month. Just imagine what google pays to allow free downloading of their videos? Anyway, now the people that are getting paid for this bandwidth want MORE money, yet they're already getting paid from both ends!

it's sick...really.

actually it's slightly worse than that.

with "deep packet sniffing" technology, they can determine what packets passing through routers are, and give preferential treatment to say, comcast video on demand (paying) packets, as opposed to a streaming (free) video from the greenpeace site.

it'$ all about the $$$.

Edited by Guest

I didn't want to get into that, but yeah, that is the next level of worst!

If you use VOIP with a competing provider right now (like Vonage), folks like Shaw(for example) are already charging $10 more money for your internet if you aren't using their VOIP service. Seeing Vonage fight this behaviour is good, but who's fighting for BitTorrent bandwidth or hi-speed video?

They'll also be able to find out how much you're using Skype to make calls and nail you there. BitTorrent users are already getting throttled on many ISP's. Thankfully, I haven't seen any of this bullshit on Videotron in Quebec yet.