Jambands.ca

New Jamcast is up featuring Frank Zappa

bouche

Listened to it on the way to work today. I'm enjoying the format but having a real difficult time with the sound. The levels seem to vary significantly - is this something a 'compressor' would help solve - as you lean into and away from the mic. I find the sound overall to be very bass heavy. I end up dropping the bass and cranking the mid and treble in my vehicle to try and get a nice balance. Now, my car is a very difficult sound environment but I wanted to provide you with as much constructive feedback as possible.

Keep up the good work!

\/\/illy, I have no clue how to make it sound good aside from bugging CoP. There must be some sort of compressor utility with Logic Express on the mac, but I haven't figured that shit out yet. I'm just using garage band to assemble the whole thing.

We were definately having problems with the mics for a while...oh and at least one time, Dave had the mic facing the wrong way from his face ;)

So if you're talking about the voice, it's because we were definately having problems. That will hopefully be resolved with more experience. Did I mention we were drinking big heinekin's?

Did I mention we were drinking big heinekin's?

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to be serious about this. :P

Hehehe. The image of Dave talking into the wrong end of a microphone is totally killing me.

Seriously though; I like the format and I'm just trying to give you some constructive criticism. If it's any consolation, I hear a lot of different 'semi-amateur' and even 'professional' podcasts that do a poor job in these areas.

here's more on the story for you...

The miC is an Apex that has 3 settings. Normally it's set to stereo and we were sharing it taking one side each. However, earlier problems got us to add another mic to troubleshoot and then when we figured out the problem, I set his mic to Cardioid mode and forgot to tell him that only one side would work.

well, we could have redone some of that banter, but it sounded fine here, since we were only listening to snippets and not in relation to the other portions.

I do have to spend time with recordings in Logic so I can learn how to balance this stuff.

I was flipping through the channels last night during commercials in the hockey game. Landed on A & E and there was a huge band playing on an outdoor stage in front of a small crowd. Immediately recognized the song as Zappa's Zombie Woof!

The band was made up of young kids, both boys and girls, and wow, could they every play.

I caught the last 20 minutes or so of the show, it was some kind of Rock School thing. Looked it up on the A&E website this morning, it's a 2-hour documentary, the instructor teaches these kids how to play Zappa. It looks like it will be re-broadcast this Saturday at 4pm.