Jambands.ca

Softwood Lumber Deal reached

Freak By Night

Surprised nobody has commented on this yet, so I'll get the ball rolling. After 30 years of disagreements, outrageous tariffs, and lawyers getting rich, the US and Canada have come to an agreement on softwood lumber.

Is this Harper's finest hour? Or will the US just find other ways to screw us?

Personally I think the deal makes no difference in the big picture; we will just continue to chop down trees until they're all gone.

I think humanity will end before the trees do. According to Satelite Data, there is more green canopy in Canada than there was 30 years ago. Maybe all of those tree planting exercises in Grade School, and wishing friends farewell over the summer while they went to plant trees is paying off.

I hope we can move forward from this... but imagine there will be lots of criticism that we sold out too short. Still, I think regaining 80% of the duties we paid is a good thing. Money we didn't have access to otherwise... others still may like to view the glass as 20% empty... I'm just glad we got the glass back, and we can maybe focus on a dialoge with the United States which doesn't revolve around pricepoints of a single commodity... Canada is so much more than that.