Jambands.ca

Champion Chelsea

M.O.B.E

Sven-Goran Eriksson is in danger of going to the World Cup without the player he rates as England's answer to Pele and another who he believes is "our best goalscorer without any doubt".

England's miserable preparations for the impending finals in Germany took another depressing turn on Saturday as new injury doubts were cast over Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen.

Rooney will be out for six weeks after breaking his foot at Stamford Bridge.

The 20-year-old was stretchered off during Manchester United's 3-0 defeat by Chelsea, having suffered the injury in a challenge for possession with Paulo Ferreira.

And, with England's opening World Cup game against Paraguay on June 10 exactly six weeks away, Eriksson's dilemma is now obvious.

Owen, meanwhile, made his much-anticipated return for Newcastle in the Magpies' 0-0 draw with Birmingham but limped off at full-time following his 28-minute substitute appearance.

It was the striker's first match since he broke his foot against Tottenham on December 31 and his fitness will be assessed on Monday.

"My foot does not feel right," Owen told the News of the World. "I felt something go after 10 minutes. But it's not the kind of pain I experienced when I needed a second operation.

"I will have to go and see the surgeon. Until then I don't know how serious it is. It doesn't feel perfect.

"Is it pain? I don't know how to explain it. There is a numbness there.

"It wasn't a crack or the pain I felt when I first did it on New Year's Eve. But it is obviously not ideal. As far as the World Cup is concerned it is much too early to say."

Chelsea skipper John Terry also needed extensive treatment after taking a kick on the shin from Rooney in the first half.

However, Blues boss Jose Mourinho said: "Rooney's tackle on John Terry was a very nasty one but he will have 10 stitches and be ready in one week."

There is also cause for concern about England's left-back berth with Fulham manager Chris Coleman revealing Wayne Bridge has a hamstring problem.

Fully fit, Bridge would be an automatic choice in Sven-Goran Eriksson's World Cup squad and, with doubts remaining over Ashley Cole's fitness, could yet be the Swede's first choice left-back.

However, it appears Bridge is far from being free of pain and, while the extent of the problem is not known, it is restricting his performances.

"Wayne has a tight hamstring," said Coleman. "It is a bit uncomfortable for him and he is not getting into the final third as much but he is still doing a good job for us."

Right-back Gary Neville seemed to limp off at the end of United's defeat by Chelsea, though it is not thought to be a serious injury.

It cost "a few bruises" but a Chelsea fan could collect a windfall after a Premiership champions' medal thrown into the crowd by manager Jose Mourinho sparked a bidding war on eBay.

Bidding began at £150 but last night a potential buyer pledged an unlikely £10m for what a Cheshire-based seller claimed was a genuine medal thrown to fans after the title-winning match against Manchester United.

Mourinho said: "The medal was for everybody but I think the person in the crowd who got the medal is a lucky guy who goes home with a fantastic memory or goes to eBay and makes a fortune."