Jambands.ca

20 greatest rock basslines ever

thatpatguy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I opened this thread I was like, Yes' Roundabout, sure enough.

Stevie's superstition is up there.

That line is played by Stevie on a Clavinet. With some cool overdubbing. The bass line actually is just the same note on every beat. Mind you the fact that that line is so simple makes it freaking perfect. I think you're likely speaking of the riff...which is clav based.

Also - "Higher Ground" by RHCP - that line was also Stevie's left hand on "Higher Ground" off of Innervisions. Flea's adaptation is awesome though and fittingly on the list.

The bass line played by Jaco Pastorius on "Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" on Joni Mitchell's Mingus is unfairly awesome. Has anyone heard this?

Jaco also does an instrumental "Dear Prudence": that chokes me up. RIP Jaco.

Stevie rules.

Edited by Guest

I will say that Weather Report's live version of Black Market on 8:30 is my favourite bass track ever, but I don't know if Jaco really falls into the "rock" category. Good call on the "Drycleaner from Des Moines", thats another incredible one, as is the bass line in "Come On, Come Over" (that whole album).

My vote for best bass line in a rock song is Zeppelin's "What Is And What Should Never Be"....seriously, the breakdown in the middle is an encyclopedia of every blues-rock bass chop there is. John Paul Jones for the win!!! I might have to pull out the remaster and listen to that tonight on headphones!

John Paul Jones for the win!!!

although i didn't nominate any Zep lines, I'll offer it's because there are way too many. I'll take JPJ as the best rock bass player ever in a landslide as well.

and I'll also nominate Sympathy For the Devil as a damn catchy bassline.

AD

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! I bolted upright while I was in bed last night, and my jaw dropped for a minute or two..... out of NOWHERE it hit me! Almost 2 weeks have gone by, but the magnitude of my error demanded that I resurrect this thread. I am sooooo ashamed of myself.

My vote for best bass line in a rock song is Zeppelin's "What Is And What Should Never Be"....seriously, the breakdown in the middle is an encyclopedia of every blues-rock bass chop there is. John Paul Jones for the win!!! I might have to pull out the remaster and listen to that tonight on headphones!

I put down the wrong song! Of course I meant The Lemon Song, not What Is And What Should Never Be! The encyclopedia of blues-rock basslines is The Lemon Song!

As a self professed Zeppelin-head of old, I can't believe I made that mistake.....

I can't believe nobody corrected me at the time....

I can't believe I resurrected this thread to bring this up...

...but I had to clear my conscience. Thank you.

Edited by Guest
i before e except after c