Jambands.ca

20 greatest rock basslines ever

thatpatguy

Well bradm, this brings up an interesting issue that has never been clarified in this thread. When we say "bassline", are we talking bassline in the sense of a phrase, or a "riff" of a song, or bassline as in the bass track of a song in its entirety? I think the article linked refers to the first (the riff perspective) but myself and many here have picked their favourite bass tracks in a more general sense.

As for your question, I agree that How Many More Times is a much catchier riff....but really, Page came up with the guitar riff and the bass is just doubling that, so does that even count? My reference to "The Lemon Song" is pointing to the breakdown in the middle (squeeze me baby, yada yada yada) as a whole, although there isn't really any "riffs" so to speak, but just awesome, awesome, blues/rock walking lines and chops up the yin yang. One of the only places in Zeppelin's history where the other three peacocks in the band shut up a bit, play sparsely and quietly, and let JPJ go off, which he does masterfully. I love it.

I would vote for "Ramble On" to be the best original bassline in a riff sense from Zeppelin's catalogue.

Did all that even make sense?

::crickets::

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I see where you're coming from, and I think I'll disagree with you on at least one point: the fact that the line was doubling what Page is playing is irrelevant: in that song, that line was played on the bass, and so is a bass line. (Does "Day Tripper" by The Beatles not count because the bass doubles the guitar?)

And while I agree with you that the "breakdown" part of TLS may feature some great bass playing, is there a recognizable (and repeated) bass line in that part?

(If anybody needs me, I'll be in my PEIPunkerBunker, cowering in fear at the fallout which will surely come my way due to the conflict into which I've entered... ;))

Aloha,

Brad

Yes, I see where you're coming from, and I think I'll disagree with you on at least one point: the fact that the line was doubling what Page is playing is irrelevant: in that song, that line was played on the bass, and so is a bass line. (Does "Day Tripper" by The Beatles not count because the bass doubles the guitar?)

And while I agree with you that the "breakdown" part of TLS may feature some great bass playing, is there a recognizable (and repeated) bass line in that part?

Well my long bearded friend, that is what I was saying before. If we take "bassline" to have 2 meanings:

A. "bassline" in the recognizable, repeated bassline sense

B. "bassline" as in the entire bass track of a song

So no, what I am referring to in The Lemon Song does not qualify in category A. It is my pick for category B though. Like I said before I would pick "Ramble On" as a better category A bassline, but that is just my preference, and you are perfectly justified in picking How Many More Times. Personally, I wouldn't pick it because its the easiest thing in the world to follow a blues box guitar riff like that, while Ramble On is unmistakably original and has interesting note selection (major key 2s and 6s are sweet gold on the bass). Of course its all personal preference, and really I am only "rambling on" here because I feel like shit today and am pissed that I had to work (not to belittle our discussion).

PEIPunkerBunker

:D

You ole rapscallion pundit you.....fear not!

Edited by Guest