Jambands.ca

Black Crowes Ottawa!

gentlemonkey

Re: security.

The ticket said the doors would be open at 7:00pm, so I got to the Congress Centre about 6:55pm, to find that the pre-check was in progress, and a couple of hundred prople (I guess) had already made it through. (The doors to the actual concert room hadn't opened yet, though.)

I got up to the pre-check, and the security guard seemed completely mystified that I had a stand with me. I said I was recording the show, "You have a video camera?" No, just audio, I replied. There was talk amongst the security people, with one guy saying, at one point, "Three photog passes only, no professional lenses..." I repeated that I was recording the audio only, but they still didn't get it. Luckily, a member of the Crowes crew (I think) came up and definitively stated that audio recording was OK.

I also had one or two items that I had with me for medical purposes, in the pockets of my jacket. When I got patted down, I explained what they were, and didn't even have to bring them out. Not only that, but they didn't look in my backpack. I got asked if I had anything to drink (I didn't), and then got waved through.

Net result: I could have snuck a battleship in to the show. Not only that, they didn't rip, check, or even look at my ticket.

Inside the room, it was pretty cool. It's a big square ballroom, so the sound booth was just a fenced-off area about 3/4 of the way back from the stage. I set up near the front-right corner (the Crowes allow stands, but not in front of the board, mostly because, I think, they don't want their people to get blocked), and stayed there most of the night. There was a security guard behind me most of the time, largely there to secure the booth, I figure (she got a couple of people to stop sitting on the fences and made sure nobody tried to get in to the booth), but her presence would have made it hard to partake of anything smokable. Further up, there was a fair amount of smoking going on, but I saw two burly guards patrolling through the crowd; I didn't see anybody get tossed out, though.

Aloha,

Brad

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Girl from a Pawnshop is one of my all time fav Crowes tunes, and I have never caught that one live......

Yeah well I bet you've seen more Slaves than the average bear, so it evens out. :)

Pawnshop was sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

AD

Anyway, How was the show? Reviews?

Capsule review: Good. Short. Muddy sound. Marc Ford can do no wrong. Glad to see rumours of Eddie being kicked out of the band weren't true.

More detailed review to come in 24-48 hours... Have to write it first...

AD

it was a fun show, they were rockin! loved the room. a guy in front of me did get forcibly ejected though.

i feel like bands should play 2 sets of music for that ticket price though. it seems like the shows i've been seeing lately are usually 1 set. what's up with that? last night's show was a good set, but should have been 2.

it was fun

:)

I was personally glad they didn't do two sets in London. They stopped selling beer right before the Crowes went on so there wouldn't be much reason for a set break in my opinion. Copps did this as well a few weeks ago for Willie Nelson. I guess it's a cheaper liquour license that they're buying. I certainly felt like I got my money's worth though.

I've seen "L.A." on a few recent setlists but haven't seen anybody comment about it...are they doing Neil Young's "L.A.", from Time Fades Away?

That is correct...

In a matter of time

There'll be a friend of mine

Gonna come to the coast

You're gonna see him

Up close for a minute or two

While the ground cracks under you

By the look in your eyes

You'd think that it was a surprise

But you seem to forget

Something somebody said

About the bubbles in the sea

And an ocean full of trees

And you know, L.A.

Uptight, city in the smog, city in the smog

Don't you wish that you could be here too?

Well, it's hard to believe

So you get up to leave

And you laugh at the door

That you heard it all before

Oh it's so good to know

That it's all just a show for you

But when the suppers are planned

And the freeways are crammed

And the mountains erupt

And the valley is sucked

Into cracks in the earth

Will I finally be heard by you

L.A.

Uptight, city in the smog, city in the smog

sent the following email to the reviewer at the Ottawa Sun...

Hi there, thanks for reviewing the Black Crowes' show last night.

A few errors or typos I thought you might want to correct for posterity. Chris Robinson and Rich Robinson are brothers, not Rich and Marc.

And I guess your deadline was before the end of the show, because the last three songs were Soul Singing, Remedy, and She Talks to Angels. Makes the sentence 'No signature tunes from the band's chart-topping days, in the early 1990s. Not Remedy, or She Talks To Angels, or Soul Singing, the song that's been stuck in my head for the last two days, even' moot.

And here is her reply...

Hey there...I think it must have just come across that way. Of course I know Chris and Rich are brothers! My review had to be filed by 10...had to go to the Westin as no Internet or wireless there...It was a mad rush, I'll tell ya. I pointed out the "first hour" thing and wrote a much different review for replate that referred to those three songs.

Cheers,

Ann Marie

Sounds like innocent mistakes and deadlines... Good on her to review in the first place. The Citizen's review will be online later today or tomorrow I think. Lynn Saxberg did that one...

AD

I've seen "L.A." on a few recent setlists but haven't seen anybody comment about it...are they doing Neil Young's "L.A.", from Time Fades Away?

I'd never heard this song before but it was one of my highlights. It had such a good feel.

re: security, I didn't get a patdown at all. Saw the 2 big guys patrolling the floor at the beginning of the set but after that it was open season. Too bad some people weren't so lucky. There was one guy about three rows back blatantly smoking cigarettes all night. I figured if they didn't bother him then everyone else was golden.

Also saw a guy with a bit of blood on his face being attended to by medics outside the men's room. What a wild Monday night in Ottawa!

re: the Sun review, I wish they'd just wait an extra day to print the story. I understand she has a deadline but how can you suppose that three songs won't be played when you've only seen the first half of the show? It looks especially bad when they actually play those three songs. I don't recall Kate Hudson ever winning an Oscar either (she was nominated). It's shoddy journalism. It's a nice job to have and she should give her work, and the band's work, more respect.

P.S. Mike I really am sick.

There was one guy about three rows back blatantly smoking cigarettes all night. I figured if they didn't bother him then everyone else was golden.

P.S. Mike I really am sick.

I saw that guy being treated by a first aid worker. He could have just walked into a pole all drunk.

also, I just remembered seeing a girl with a little macbook typing feverishly away in the lobby area. I'm just clueing in that it was probably ann.marie.

no doubt you're sick. I am too, but I knew I had to get up for trey tix and I was afraid that if I stayed in bed 'sick', I would would have missed them. So I came to work thinking 10 am....trey tix... and then I found out they were sold at noon.

A simple trip to German Towne and 2 pate sandwichs and a vegegetable soup later and I've got 2 trey tix!

also, I just remembered seeing a girl with a little macbook typing feverishly away in the lobby area. I'm just clueing in that it was probably ann.marie.

Now that you mention it, I also saw her when I went for my mid-set beers. I thought it was pretty weird but your explanation makes sense.

no doubt you're sick. I am too, but I knew I had to get up for trey tix and I was afraid that if I stayed in bed 'sick', I would would have missed them. So I came to work thinking 10 am....trey tix... and then I found out they were sold at noon.

I'm going to cough all over you tomorrow to prove it.