Jambands.ca

FAREED HAQUE GROUP May 26 06 Vancouver

StoneMtn

So, this show was unbelievable! I had an amazing time, and I am so glad I drove down to Vancouver for this.

I travelled down with two good friends from Whistler. At the show I ran into at least two dozen of the very kind folks who I really don't get to see enough of; given the way I hibernate up here in the mountains.

Upstream Entertainment is hilarious. Last week, in the Georgia Straight, an article was published that I never did see. Apparently, whatever it said, that article caused a whole bunch of ... well .. uh ... different types to come out to this show (hereinafter referred to as the "Jazz Snob Lameos"). The Jazz Snob Lameos had heard that the doors were opening at 8:00, so they dutifully arrived at 7;45, for a prompt 8:00 start. Of course, they all sat down, and expected everyone else to do the same. My friend from Upstream, before anyone arrived, realized that the Jazz Snob Lameos were about to get a bit of a shock. He actually walked around and tried to convince them all to take their money back and leave (JUST PICTURE THIS!) because they didn't know what they were in for. They wouldn't go.

Fareed saved the day. He and Upstream agreed to start the show early, and play a mellow, tabla-inspired, equanimitous first set. He figured that should be good enough for the Jazz Snob Lameos who would likely leave before 11:00 anyway. The set was so mellow (until the final song) that I could barely remain on my feet, let alone dance, and it gave the Jazz Snob Lameos ample opportunity to tap many of us on the shoulder and ask us to move so they could continue to sit and see the show unobstructed.

By the time "Singh Song" was played to close first set, though, the Regulars had had enough, and everyone got up and boogied like crazy. The Jazz Snob Lameos mostly looked shocked. Some, though, grew some guts and coolness and actually just huddled their little round tables together, while freaks squashed them together from every side, gyrating and jumping all over them. The (few newly cool) Jazz Snob Lameos burst into big smiles, and a couple even stood up to boogie. The rest of them left.

Second set was mindblowing. Deke from Upstream walked around as the set was about to come on and told all of us "They (Jazz Snob Lameos) had their set. Now, feel free to get in front of anyone and do whatever you want." It was on.

The set was incredible. High energy Indian vibes. One of the two tabla players, unfortunately, had gotten food poisoning, so he didn't come back when second set started, but somehow he dragged himself back to the stage halfway through, and closed the set looking a bit green, but with a big smile. I was so impressed.

The show went to about 1:00 and then a generous encore. This show was fantastic. Very different than Garaj Mahal; and equally amazing.

Fareed: Thank you as always. Fareed Haque Group: You blew my mind. Upstream Entertainment: You know I love ya!

My friend from Upstream, before anyone arrived, realized that the Jazz Snob Lameos were about to get a bit of a shock. He actually walked around and tried to convince them all to take their money back and leave (JUST PICTURE THIS!) because they didn't know what they were in for. They wouldn't go.

Aside from the music, I would have loved to have been there and taped that part of the show. :)

Aloha,

Brad