Jambands.ca

WORLD CUP

Guest Low Roller

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England were lucky it wasnt a goal to come back within one. Trindad should have had 2 or 3 by that point. Crouch shouldnt even be out there for England, he's about as good as a ten year old house league player. His ball control is shite, he has absolutely no first touch, and his main asset is his height but he sucks ass in the air. He didnt head that ball in, he headed it forward and it happened to go under the cross bar for a change.

Where was Owen?

Owen likes to take the ball at his feet. Peter Crouch has effectively elimated one of his own players.They keep tryin to play the ball in high for Peter Crouch to knock on but it never seems to make it anywhere, thus Owen never sees the ball or even a chance to run on to one. Peter Crouch sux balls. They would be better off with Lennon playin as a winger/off striker too play Owen into the game. Owen and Rooney is a different story.

Crouchy

9 appearances for England, 4 as sub, 6 goals. Great return especially in international play.

England hasnt lost a game Crouch has appeared in and he turned around the Poland game and Argentina game when he came off the bench.

He played with Owen before and set up a hat trick for him, owen is way off the pace because he has barely played since december and is not fit yet.

He is not the greatest header of the ball but he has a great touch and controls the majority of the balls played into him. But how many other guys on the field would have got to that ball and scored?

but yeah hes tall and goofy looking, so he sucks ass.

Edited by Guest

so you are saying the rest of the team that didnt score is wayyyyyy worse then crouch..

i see your logic.

i dont think he is the best player out there but he brings a lot to the team. take a look how many times the ball is worked through crouch when going up the field and how often he retains possesion, unlike the ole heskey flick to owen that worked so well for england. also he has been scoring goals. he isnt the only one that missed open chances yesterday.. owen missed 2, franky missed about 8.. but at least he buried when it counted.

but yeah hes tall and goofy looking, so he sucks ass.

Owen likes to take the ball at his feet. Peter Crouch has effectively elimated one of his own players.They keep tryin to play the ball in high for Peter Crouch to knock on but it never seems to make it anywhere, thus Owen never sees the ball or even a chance to run on to one. Peter Crouch sux balls. They would be better off with Lennon playin as a winger/off striker too play Owen into the game. Owen and Rooney is a different story.

I dont recall sayin anything there about him being tall and or goofy lookin. I said he sux balls and isnt at par with the level of players around him thus elimating one of his own players. And yes he is tall and goofy looking I agree but that has nothing to do with his playing ability.

ready to listen yet?? read on

Steven Gerrard leapt to the defence of Michael Owen today and predicted he will deliver World Cup goals.

Owen's place in the starting line-up is under threat for Tuesday's clash with Sweden in Cologne following his lacklustre performances against Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago. Gerrard, however, insists all the players have faith in the Newcastle forward and admits the service to Owen has not been good enough.

He told Sky Sports News: "Michael has come in for a bit of criticism because he hasn't scored but I know goals are only around the corner."

He continued: "He is not worried about the way he is playing and neither is the team and we know it's only a matter of time before he is banging goals in

"I think the service can be better. Michael Owen thrives on balls threaded from midfield and from decent crosses.

"We know if we improve the service he will get goals."

Gerrard also acknowledged that England must get their tactics right when Peter Crouch plays.

"We've got to be careful if Peter does play that we don't use the long ball too much," he warned.

Check this out...on a side note, I can't believe Tunisia is beating Spain right now.

Rooney to resume partnership with Owen

Monday June 19 2006

Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen resume their England strike partnership for the first time in seven months against Sweden on Tuesday, with boss Sven-Goran Eriksson admitting: "I hope they play like in the good old days!"

Rooney will start for the first time since breaking a metatarsal seven-and-a-half weeks ago, and it will be his first World Cup start.

Eriksson will be hoping Rooney's full comeback will bring the best out of Owen, who has struggled to make an impact for his country since returning from a similar injury.

Although Peter Crouch has scored six goals in his last five internationals, it is with Rooney alongside him that Owen feels most comfortable - a partnership last seen for England in the 3-2 win over Argentina in November.

Eriksson said: "Wayne Rooney did very well as a substitute against Trinidad and Tobago, has trained well and he can do more than 45 minutes on Tuesday. That's the reason we are starting him.

"What do I expect of Owen and Rooney? That they play like in the good old days. They have always played very well together and I hope they will do it against Sweden as well.

"I hope Michael plays better and better and it is easier for him on Tuesday because his partner is Wayne Rooney and that means he can stay up front even more while Rooney is the linking player."

Owen was substituted early in the second half against both Paraguay and Trinidad and Eriksson recognises a goal will quickly transform the player who has netted 36 times for his country.

He said: "All strikers need goals. Confidence in a striker when he scores is right up high and if they don't score it is the opposite."

so anyone wanna predict how this game will go?

let's see, two strikers who've been crocked for looong stretches starting over the guy that's netted 6 goals in 9 appearances... I'm going out on a limb here and saying that they'll bring on Plan B after about 75 minutes and lob a few long balls at him and hope for the best.

That said, I'd probably start Shrek McRooney as well (against my better judgement) and hope everything works out for the best...

oh well it'll be a very interesting game- ibrahimovich is a tough player to mark, these are always good matchups

Take away the hat-trick and its 3 in 8. Look at his Liverpool record and its 8 in 31 this past season.

Not the mark of a great striker but certainly one scouser fans will fluff at a moments notice. Starting Wayne and Owen only makes sense and doesnt go against anyones better judgement. Well, I suppose if you want to be wishy-washy you can say anything you want without taking a stand.