Jambands.ca

The Grateful Dead Trivia Thread

The Chameleon

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

As an interesting tidbit of bonus trivia, I'll add that the following night was Phil's birthday, and marked the only show I was ever shut out of for being unable to get a ticket, and the only riot I've ever been in outside a show. (cops on horses, tazers, billy clubs, screaming, running...)

Good times.

BradM? Next question?

If I remember right from back then (and I never participated in it, I only heard about my friends using it at the time) I think it was called "The Well". People actually "broadcast" setlists right out of and during the shows, in like 1994 or so, which seemed like magic.

I don't think I know what it stands for (or in fact that it stood for anything) but am I right about the first half of the question?

OK, here's a personal one: I never saw The Grateful Dead. I did see The Other Ones, and in a fairly legendary venue for The Grateful Dead, except for it having been renamed after a corporation.

The opening song, which I missed due to being delayed getting in by being too far back in line, was especially appropriate.

Which (date and venue) show was it, and what was the opening song?

Edit to add: I'm going to bed now, so I'll deal with the answers tomorrow morning.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

OK, here's a personal one: I never saw The Grateful Dead. I did see The Other Ones, and in a fairly legendary venue for The Grateful Dead, except for it having been renamed after a corporation.

The opening song, which I missed due to being delayed getting in by being too far back in line, was especially appropriate.

Which (date and venue) show was it, and what was the opening song?

Edit to add: I'm going to bed now, so I'll deal with the answers tomorrow morning.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm Gonna guess and say, it was the Pepsi Arena (Formerly the Knickernocker), in Albany New York. And the song you missed was "Beat it on down the Line?" I think that was in 2002 or 2003.

11-16-02

Pepsi Arena

Depending on how you are defining the 1st song, its either:

Jam

or

Cold Rain and Snow

Yeah i think you're right on the cold rain & snow opener. I was there and it was like crazy freezing rain and really cold. i was gonna say that but reconsidered as Brad's post talked about being behin in "the line". always trust your first mind.

Incidetally I think that was the best post-dead show I've seen with any line up of the original members. really hot jams...Wow...

Edited by Guest

Incidetally I think that was the best post-dead show I've seen with any line up of the original members.

I agree. That tour had some REALLY hot moments. Boston second night? dogatthestation would know for sure, but he played one for me that knocked my socks off. I have no idea why they changed the lineup after that. We were quite excited for the possibilities.

Incidetally I think that was the best post-dead show I've seen with any line up of the original members. really hot jams...Wow...

I think the highlight for me was the instrumental "Stella Blue"; Jimmy Herring's playing during that just about melted me.

Aloha,

Brad

There is one Skank has made a direct song request of/to a member of the Dead at a Dead show and had that song played. Further, it was a show opener. Who was the Skank, which show (date & venue) was it, and what was the song?

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest