Jambands.ca

Ottawa- 10 Digit dialing begins Saturday!

gentlemonkey

Do you big city types have any advice on how to get our digit, digits into shape.

My index finger won't stop quivering- she's really nervous.

I did a lot of pointing and finger-wagging in preparation. Most totally random. It's both good finger exercise and hilarious in that it's really confusing to the people around you.

[color:purple]I'm scared. 7 numbers is hard enough already but I'm the type of person that will forget and then sit there wondering why I can't make a phone call.

According to

http://www.dial10.ca/1053/regions/613.asp

As of June 17, 2006

Start using 10-digit dialing for all local communications.

If you dial only 7 digits, before your call is connected you will hear a recorded message reminding you to dial all 10 digits the next time.

Warning! This message may disrupt data transmission in certain cases (Internet, fax machines, etc.).

As of October 21, 2006

10-digit local dialing is mandatory.

So the next few times you sit there, having forgotten how to dial, a friendly disembodied voice will remind you. By October, you should be in the habit of using all 10 digits.

Aloha,

Brad

Frankly, I miss rotary dials. But, then, I still think that digital watches are a pretty neat idea...

:D ! (You're turning into a penguin, stop it.)

Nice thing about Osgoode is that all the numbers have the same three in the front, so all you have to give is the last four. I guess that won't be changing.

I've had to do the 613 thing for local Ottawa calls ever since we signed up for Vonage. At first I thought it had already switched, but it appears that it is a limitation of the VOIP.

Anyway, I'm all set. The digital directory is programmed for 10 digits.