Jambands.ca

OTTAWA BLUESFEST!!

bouche

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was that? I only saw the main stage and it must have had at least a thousand chairs in front of it but haven't been able to make it to the other stages yet (work). It'd be wicked if chair people kept away from the other stages so that folks can dance to the music as they should.

Unfortunately playing at the same time as Junior Brown, Martin Sexton is opening for Rosanne Cash on the Main Stage next Saturday. He used to pass through then Valley quite a bit a few years back. He has a beautiful voice (you should hear the man yodell)and writes great songs.Well worth checking out. That said, I will probably go see Junior, but I will be torn...

Awesome first night at the Bluesfest! Calexico were great, Broken Social Scene not so much. Also caught a bit of Malajube (decent young band from Montreal) and Seu Jorge (not exactly what I was expecting and shit sound).

Lawnchairs took up a lot of space at the Black Sheep Stage but there was a healthy amount of people standing up front to balance things out.

The new MBNA stage is great. Can't wait to see Dickey Betts there on Wednesday!

Another favorite of mine Velvet didn't mention: Chris Smither. I saw him way back when Bluesfest had an acoustic nights stage at the Westin Hotel. Mellow but excellent. If you are on the grounds early tomorrow then go see him. I will make a special trip down just to see him bfore catching the World Cup, then back for Ani, later.

I had a great time at Broken Social Scene, setlist was standard, Amy Millan sounded like crap though. I thought it was pretty good overall.

Malajube kicked my ass, I thought they were the best band there yesterday. It's my 3rd time seeing them and still I'm suprised at how good they are. Pity I don't speak French, I kinda want to know what they're singing about. Their song Casse-cou has the best guitar riff I've heard in years. I bought their newest CD last night "Trompe-l'oeil" and it's not nearly as good as the live show, but it sounds reallllll good cranked up in the living room.

Anathallo were not as great as the first time I saw them at Zaphods. Their show didn't translate too well to a large outdoor stage at all.

Looking forward to today if I can shake this hangover.

AD

Speaking of Jake, I'm off to check him out for 3:15. Just finishing up a nooner cocktail ;)

I enjoyed what I caught of the BSS, and was VERY impressed with that new venue for the MDMA stage. However, concidering that they were clashing with an act that I've never scene, Calexico, I didn't stick around for long.

Why doesn't everyone dance? Are the folks here chronicly out of shape?

Echo the statement above, down with lawn chairs!!! If there's anything such as lawn chairs stopping me from dancing to ani or spearhead tonight they're going down. What happened to those shirts someone mentioned?

Edited by Guest

Why does everyone dictate how others should enjoy music? Us getting at annoyed at people because they're not dancing is as obnixous as people getting annoyed at us because we are dancing.

Note that I'm not excusing some of the bad lawn chair behaviour (e.g., leaving a chair in place to reserve space while its occupant is wandering around); instead, I'm asking that the tolerance we demand of others should be reciprocated by us towards them.

Aloha,

Brad

Actually, I was kind of kidding about the dancing.

It's that there is a large portion of what should be a general admitance area that I cannot access that bothers me. It's hard to explain but I like general admittance because I can walk anywhere but with the chairs (as opposed to folks sitting on Mother Earth with blankets) there is a huge area that is just not accessible.

If there were more ailses (as in a seated venue) I wouldn't really have a problem with it.

On another note, though, I've always been poor and that means that at seated venues my spot in the crowd is not regulated by how much I like the music as it is my financial situation. General admittance trancends that boudary in that no matter how poor or rich I am, i can still make it up to the stage or anywhere else in the crowd. That's always been sacred to me since it takes out the idea of tiers but with all the chairs I am once again relegated to certain areas, not because of finances but for other reasons.

Not to mention from a band standpoint, I heard yesterday there's one artist (forget his name) that won't play here anymore because he couldn't get any energy form the crowd (he could barely see the dancers since most folk were sitting and for all intents and purposes indifferent to his music).

Picture a show at mavericks where everyone sits on the ground and then picture one where people are up and dancing. As a member of a band, what gives you the most energy and will to put more into the music?

Edited by Guest

You folks owe it to yourself to catch Jake Shimabukuro at the Blacksheep Stage today at 4:45 ... amazing musician, got to his set yesterday in time to hear him do a beautiful rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps on ukulele, followed by Ave Maria. I know I'm not going to miss a minute of his set today.

yeah the lawnchair fascists were getting quite annoying at bonnie raitt last night however the most vocal of them seemed to be wearing day passes so they may not choose to have fun for the remainder of the week

i did inform them that yelling sit down at the the top of thier lungs is at least as annoying as the standing people

as for me i don't care if you stand sit or walk on your hands just don't ruin it for the rest of us.

we will be there with our baby again for some soul and r&b on a beautiful sunday...if you recognize us or if you don't please say hi as we haven't been out too much since Carla had the baby

we will be there with our baby again for some soul and r&b on a beautiful sunday...if you recognize us or if you don't please say hi as we haven't been out too much since Carla had the baby

Feel free to say howdy to me, I will be wandering around in my hemp hat, sleeveless Far Side t-shirt and rapidly coming apart denim Deadhead jacket :)

yeah the lawnchair fascists were getting quite annoying at bonnie raitt last night however the most vocal of them seemed to be wearing day passes so they may not choose to have fun for the remainder of the week

i did inform them that yelling sit down at the the top of thier lungs is at least as annoying as the standing people

as for me i don't care if you stand sit or walk on your hands just don't ruin it for the rest of us.

my theory this year just may be this.

if you are at a venue that doesn't supply seating, you have no right to make someone sit down. sit in your own shit.

That probably should go on the back of my t-shirt with my sharpie.

You folks owe it to yourself to catch Jake Shimabukuro at the Blacksheep Stage today at 4:45 ... amazing musician, got to his set yesterday in time to hear him do a beautiful rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps on ukulele, followed by Ave Maria. I know I'm not going to miss a minute of his set today.

here here.

I'll be there again for today's set. I didn't see you yesterday Rob. I ended up hanging with Jakis at the front for the last quarter portion or so. If you are going to catch Jake play, don't be any further away than the first few feet of the stage. It is AMAZING to watch him play aside from the beautiful sounds.

BTW, I learned a new trick in the great sunlight yesterday during his uber-fast hand strumming and set the camera just right to get blur on the hands and a decent sharpish capture of the rest of him. I am so happy with how it turned out.

Setlist from yesterday:

1. Over the Rainbow

2. Let's Dance

3. Spain

4. DrAgON

5. Me & SHirley T.

6. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

7. Avé Maria

8. Orange World

9. 3rd Stream

Thanks to Kaz for the setlist!

1152464719-jake_shimabukuro1.jpg

OHMYGAWD!!!!:):):) I hope you guys remember me? We bonded a coupla or a few years back in the Santa clause seating on Canada day!

You guys had a baby!!!!!

HONKIN awesome cogratulations!!!!(heehee...I'm allmost 7 months myself now :)

Woweeee! Sweet beany thoughts and big heartfelt hugs yours ways!

:)