Jambands.ca

OTTAWA BLUESFEST!!

bouche

Mark Kozelek, Black Sheep 7:45

Be Good Tanyas, MBNA, 9pm

Son Volt, Black Sheep 9:30

Mark Kozelek is a given. i've loved everything he's ever done - sun kil moon, red house painters, and solo stuff. i've never heard a live recording though.

Actually, I haven't seen any of these bands, and have wanted to see them all.... i'm thinking of wearing roller skates to get travel between MBNA and blacksheep.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh ... I worship Mark Kozelek, huge Red House Painters fan, and his performance was ... well, odd. When I closed my eyes and just drifted along with the music it was so beautiful and wonderful, but looking at him he seemed quite uncomfortable , the sound of Big Jeezus Truck from the Blues Til Dusk stage really seemed to throw him (when he was playing the audience couldn't hear the other stage but he could). After playing for 45 minutes he said a very quick "thank you" and left the stage and that was it. I chatted with him briefly after the gig, he was friendly but didn't say much. I felt like I had just seen Nick Drake.

Son Volt kicked ass and were seriously freaking loud. High energy show , I'll bet it was louder than the main stage. The new songs were pretty cool.

I could hardly hear Mark Kozelek. I wanted to invite him back to my pad just to actually get a grasp of what he was doing. I gave up straining at one point.

Son Volt kicked ass and were seriously freaking loud. High energy show , I'll bet it was louder than the main stage.

You can say that again! Douglas has a new band she wants to explore. My ears bled during the slide solos, mixed with the peircing keyboards.

The sound at the Black Sheep has really thrown me for a loop this year. Its been terribly inconsistent to these ears.

I was really looking forward to both Mark Kozelek and Be Good Tanyas. I gotta say, they both did not do much for me.

Keeping this brief, Mark Kozelek was so uncomfortable on the stage, that he made me uncomfortable. I wish that the first time I saw him wasn’t so painful. Note to self, this is a dark quiet bar sort of performer.

Then off to the Be Good Tanyas. At first I thought the sound was so awful because I was too close. So I tried standing directly in front of the sound booth. Still horrible. They also seemed uncomfortable on stage…. Disappointing night of music…..

…but then who cares- because tonight is going to blow my face off. I am going to dance like a mad woman, and giggle like a schoolgirl. Fu(k Yeah! I can't wait, baby. YEEHAW!

such an awesome night!!!

so glad it didn't end up raining.

dan bern was great. love that guy.

dickey betts was Awesome. felt so good :) lawnchairs blow.

i dug the grande mothers too, really cool.

the slip was incredible. i hadn't seen them for about 5 years and man, wow. Wow.

i loved looking around and seeing all happy friends everywhere.

:)

i thought i heard the same somg three times, heard a harmonica solo in the wrong key, and whoever was doing the bass keyboard lines didn't seem to have rhythm.

maybe i just caught all their bad moments at once, it happens to the best and i always forget that.

hopefully they'll be tight tonight.

AD

hopefully seeing:

end of Dan Bern, start of Etta James, most of Konono #1..

yahoo music!

How was Konono #1??? I can imagine their shows being great high energy dance a thons. What stage did they play? How many people in the band?

ps - I sure wish I was in Ottawa this week. I had such a blast last year! The memories have been a flowin' all week.

Edited by Guest

Tonight promises to be ridiculous.

Here's my night:

6:15 Wintersleep (depending on the heat)

7:15 Holy Fuck vs. Jim Bryson (leaning towards Holy Fuck, Bryson plays regularly here)

8:00 Fiery Furnaces (although the write-up in the Xpress says they're not so prog-y anymore, that's what I liked about them.)

9:00 Metric

~9:30 Kathleen Edwards

Loving the Bluesfest!

hopefully seeing:

end of Dan Bern' date=' start of Etta James, most of Konono #1..

yahoo music![/quote']

How was Konono #1??? I can imagine their shows being great high energy dance a thons. What stage did they play? How many people in the band?

ps - I sure wish I was in Ottawa this week. I had such a blast last year! The memories have been a flowin' all week.

Konono #1 was an exceptional "aha" set of music. It was hypnotic and engaging and the drumming was just effortless. Parts of it reminded me of Fela without english lyrics but even that's only half the equation.

I was wondering what the big megaphones were for but evidently they gave the three thumb pianos (Bass, mid, treble) the right amount of distortion you'd get from a big Congolese-soundsystem not unlike a Jamaican equivalent.

Andrew Barr was backstage for most of the show and said it was the most authentic african trance he'd heard outside of Mali.

Holy fuÇk should be great. I'm ready to get my groove on.

I'm curious/scared to see how the Fiery Furnaces will do live. I think that perfect sound is super critical for this performance- and, I will admit that the album they did with their grandmother was freakin' weird - like coarse old lady voice telling monotonous go nowhere stories with crazy acid trip type music in the background was just not my thing. who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.

Does anyone know anything about Alejandro Escovedo ? (Blacksheep stage @ 9:30)

Does anyone know anything about Alejandro Escovedo ? (Blacksheep stage @ 9:30)

Go see him!! You won't be dissapointed.

I've been a fan for many years. He used to be in the Nuns, Rank and File, True Believers, and Buick McKane. He's put out a bunch of solo albums. I haven't seen him since a Buick McKane show at the Reverb about 10 years ago. A blend of roots /punk/alt-country. Comes from a musical family - Niece is Sheila E. (from Prince's band). brother Pete was in True Believers with him. An uncle was (is?) in Santana.

And luckily the man is still alive. He had (has) Hep. C. and was near death 4 years ago w/o any health insurance.

article in yesterday's Citizen

Edited by Guest