Jambands.ca

OTTAWA BLUESFEST!!

bouche

The songs are beautifully written, the jams were tasteful, albiet short, but I think that was because they were playing to a mixed audience no? They have a new fan in me for sure.

They don't really 'jam' when playing a regular show either, they might stretch out something an extra 4 bars occasionaly or something, but they don't change the song at all. I like that about them; the songs are composed and played and that's it.

If you want to start digging more into Wilco, I'd suggest getting Blane's excellent recording of last summer's excellent Metropolis show. I have a bunch of soundboards of Wilco / Tweedy solo / Autumn Defense / Stirrats as well that I can share somehow, but probably not until September as it's just too hectic in my life right now.

AD

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought bluesfest was great this year and really enjoyed it. I'm not critical about things so it all sounds good to me (if there are some screw ups I blame it on the lawnchairs with their seeming feel of lack of any interest in the band thus producing bad vibes) but since I know nobody's perfect, no complaints.

Spearhead/Franti with Ani openining was wicked. Wilco rocked and so did Metric. Dickey Betts blew my mind and the Hackensaw Boys played an accoustic set outside the Dominion (in the market) right after MOFRO (which was a great fun dancing time). KC and the Sunshine band was great fun to dance to and there were many women performers there which I like to see as they are a great inpiration to other women to pick up some instruments and rock out. I could go on but overall I think it was great this year. Could have been a better lineup but there are festivals like mad all over the place and it's summer so it's not hard to find your band and listen to them.

If I had any power I would beg the festival orginizers to quardon off sections for lawnchairs and to keep the front free for dancers. They SHOULD NOT have vip seating in the front, it's not fair to the others that already had to pay the $100 to get in for the week and expect a general admittance show not to mention the bands really should have at least the front row people dancing to get some good energy and vibes from.

Volunteering was great fun since I got to see many shows for free and there's nothing like working with live music blaring behind (or in front or to the side) of you. They also don't really check your bag unless you get a reat tight-assed security person. It was also a great thing to donate to, in my opinion, since it probably couldn't work without the volunteers (Cheers to all those that did it and had to sacrifice a bit of music).

So yeah, that's my thoughts. Great week, need some rest, too much drinking (not sure if that's sarcastic or not but it was fun) and crap loads of good vibes.

It was an on the spot type thing. They came over to the SB to hang out and watch MOFRO where the group I was with were hanging out and decided then. We all just ran there afterwards. They played in front for a couple hours and then the Dominion stayed open until something like 4:30 am so they could spend the money they made busking on beer and shit. I had to leave before then, though, which sucks. But yeah, pretty cool them playing right on the street.

Speakin of back to bluesfest talk and what Wilco said about the wheelchairs, did anyone notice what The M's (I think but it may have been The New Amsterdams) said about the VIP section? Something on the lines of Hey, what's that section there with all the chairs and no one in it. Break down the barrior and lets get more folks up here. Start a riot if you have to... I thought it was pretty funny but also rang pretty true. What a waste of space if no one buys the seats.

I think my biggest highlight was a combo of Franti and Dickey. I got to see Bob Weir on monday night and it was neat seeing two legends in one week like that. As for Spearhead, it was my first time seeing them and I really like what Franti talks about, in song and out which really makes for a nice show on top of the wicked tunes.

Edited by Guest

"More Than A Woman" was by the Bee Gees.

"More Than A Woman" was written by the Bee Gees, but was included in two versions on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, once performed by the Bee Gees and once by Tavares (it is the Tavares version that is playing in one of the scenes where Travolta is in the dance school). It is one of two songs that appear twice on the soundtrack, the other being "If I Can't Have You", also performed by writers The Bee Gees (although it doesn't seem to appear on the album it is in the movie and on the Bee Gees boxed set, as well as being the B-side of "Staying Alive") as well as Yvonne Elliman (yes, Mary Magdalene, that Yvonne Elliman, although it was apparently written originally for Abba).

Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

1. Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees

2. How Deep Is Your Love - Bee Gees

3. Night Fever - Bee Gees

4. More Than A Woman - Bee Gees

5. If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Elliman

6. A Fifth Of Beethoven (Based On Beethoven's Fifth Symphony) - Walter Murphy

7. More Than A Woman - Tavares

8. Manhattan Skyline - David Shire

9. Calypso Breakdown - Ralph McDonald

10. Night On Disco Mountain (Based On 'Night On Bald Mountain') - David Shire

11. Open Sesame - Kool & The Gang

12. Jive Talkin' - Bee Gees

13. You Should Be Dancing - Bee Gees

14. Boogie Shoes - K.C. And The Sunshine Band

15. Salsation - David Shire

16. K-Jee - M.F.S.B.

17. Disco Inferno - Trammps

RnB

Not to be challenged in his Bee Gees/Saturday Night Fever knowledge

Edited by Guest

Wow that's pretty thorough RNB. You edited your original posting, in which you asked "who did More than a Woman", didn't you?

Actually, I just edited because I looked it up in my Bee Gees boxed set and was reminded that "If I Can't Have You" was also the b-side to Staying Alive :)

Edited by Guest