Jambands.ca

Too High to Drive

Cully

Has anyone else seen the MADD commercial about the dangers of smoking weed and driving? A pack of Pirate rolling Papers tells a kid to call a cab because he is way, way to high to drive! I am not making this shit up...it is freaking priceless!!!

Check it out here (you will need quicktime)... MADD if_youre_high_logo_small.png

Edited by Guest

here's how that commercial could be interpreted.

If you DON'T see a talking pirate on your rollies (or any hallucination for that matter), you're NOT to high to drive.

I think that message could be easily taken by inexperienced, new drivers. Being stoned off of a bong hit or joint doesn't mean that you're seeing things.

Anyway, I've never liked being in cars high. Especially if the driver was smoking.

The pirate commercial's been on IFC for a while and now MADD is doing the Why Drive High campaign:

http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/health/living/ad_youth/poster_en.pdf

is plastered all over Ottawa.

What this says to me is:

We (MADD, the government, whoever) accept that marijuana is a part of our society and there's not much we can do about it so we ask that you at least don't drive.

As opposed to:

It's illegal, don't do it. Or the american campaign that if you buy weed, you are supporting terrorism.

It's a step in the right direction of higher tolerance to weed, I think, although driving drunk is much worse since with weed at least you're more likely to be paranoid and go slower as opposed to alcohol which gives fake guts and makes you want to do crazy shit.

Exactly bouche, I was wondering the same thing. The weed leaf is filled with wrecked cars but were they really from folks that had just smoked a joint? Though I've talked to many people who've crashed a car while under the influence of alcohol, I've never actually met anyone that crashed while just stoned on weed. Granted, it's still probably not the best idea to drive stoned.

driving is too big a responsibility to take any chances with drinking, drugging, or even drowsiness...

after evolve two years ago smoothedshredder and i saw a guy drive across two lanes, into the opposite ditch, flip 3 times.... he fell asleep at the wheel.

i never knowingly get in the car with drinkers or druggers as the driver anymore... drowsiness scares me ever more and it's harder to catch. scares the shit out of me just the same though. a good sleep on a roadtrip is essential.

AD

I actually think that most people who are good and stoned don't generally have the urge to drive, much less do anything else.

Getting drunk makes many many people feel invincible, even behind a wheel. I sometimes think I can play guitar when I'm really drunk, but I know I can't if I'm really stoned.

What this says to me is:

We (MADD, the government, whoever) accept that marijuana is a part of our society and there's not much we can do about it so we ask that you at least don't drive.

As opposed to:

It's illegal, don't do it. Or the american campaign that if you buy weed, you are supporting terrorism.

fbuy.gif