Jambands.ca

Why does no one dance....?

YearsAlongTheSea

Seriously. What gives? I don't how many shows I've been to recently where people are either glued to their seats, engaged in annoying conversation or just standing there and staring. I mean, if you don't like the music, or it's not danceable; I can understand. But, I've witnessed legions of people spectating what I would consider to be highly danceable performances, just standing there like robots.

Do I need to run seminars on how to dance with a beverage in your hand? Does there need to be signs stating that dancing is allowed at whatever particular venue applies? Something's got to give. I feel like there is a general, innate lack of enthusiasm at musical events. And I'm not just talking about the lawnchair sections of Bluesfest here...

Dance people! Dance!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, try coming out here to a show!

I find myself dancing less and less....though sometimes I love to jump around like the sweaty gorilla I can be...Im certainly not against it but for some reason I just don't get the "feeling" as much. I am very engaged with the music that is being made and appreciate it perhaps more than ever....you can dance if you wanna....or not at all.

The chit chat and banter throughout a show drives me nuts though!! Depends on the venue, but it can really piss me off.

That's interesting you say this YATS. Out here, at most jammy shows, there's a pretty good group of dancers, if not a great one. Canned Beats, however, is always saying that our west coast crowd is really tame compared to Ontario, so I figured there must be throngs of people going wild at every show out there.

I doubt anyone can explain this, except maybe Beats, but it is what interested me in checking out this thread.

Maybe I'm just used to NE US Biscuits shows and such where people throw down at a borderline mosh pit level but... it's kind of sad. 'Round here; no dancing, little enthusiasm, very robotic. There are some dancers, but just enough that they seem out of place and people even seemed put out by their dancing. Weird...

This is not meant in a derogatory fashion.

But most "jam" shows these days...well...suck. And indie-rock fans, those "toronto hipsters" have never been dancers, though i disagree with dimafleck. i think their vision for new, exciting music is great. jam music unfortunately, for me, is lacking both. So my theory is that changing music tastes, the demise of the jam scene, and particularly the demise of of a drug-induced NE Disco BIscuits-esque scene, is on the decline. hence a change in taste, attitude, and overall "vibe" when going out to shows. that said, all the power to the bands you all love. not to detract from good times. but the question was posed, and i answered.

just my 2 cents.

greasy

Maybe I'm just used to NE US Biscuits shows and such where people throw down at a borderline mosh pit level but...

I think you just answered your own question.

People at the average Ottawa show probably aren't all out of their minds on ecstasy, so they don't feel the need to be in constant, sweaty motion.

I agree about the talking, though. I mean it's one thing to have a little chit-chat or comment about the show, but I can't stand the people who show up and then proceed to talk for the next two hours.

Okay, the biscuits was just an example and yes, many in attendance to their shows are high, but, no kidding here, I've seen people dancing at other shows, and, get this, they were sober. So... yeah, people rage biscuits shows, but people also rage all sorts of other events. I just have to say, in the time I've been up here in Canada and now Ottawa specifically, I've seen a huge void of dancing. And, the jam-scene is not on the decline persay, it's just being relocated into more suitable genres. The word 'jam', as a foundation for a band's sound or vibe, is on the way out. That, I'll agree with. And it's not that these people I speak of are not enjoying themselves, they're just not dancing. Weird...

Seriously. What gives? I don't how many shows I've been to recently where people are either glued to their seats, engaged in annoying conversation or just standing there and staring. I mean, if you don't like the music, or it's not danceable; I can understand. But, I've witnessed legions of people spectating what I would consider to be highly danceable performances, just standing there like robots.

Do I need to run seminars on how to dance with a beverage in your hand? Does there need to be signs stating that dancing is allowed at whatever particular venue applies? Something's got to give. I feel like there is a general, innate lack of enthusiasm at musical events. And I'm not just talking about the lawnchair sections of Bluesfest here...

Dance people! Dance!

ms.hux and I were just talking about going to a show that isn't just about seeing a live band and bouncing about, but actually finding an event where we can dance together, holding hands, spinning each other, etc. There are definately some events at the Ottawa Bluesfest that have some nice soulful bluesy music (think of otis redding) we can take advantage of, and I hope we can find more of that outside of the festival. Dancing is fun, especially when you're with your love.

I don't dance because I'm an overweight white man who's too busy pounding beers and shots at shows. Besides, I'm old and my back hurts. You kids today make me sick. Things were different when I was a youngster. You're all just dancing perverts. Perverts!

toronto hipsters are the worst crowd in the world bar none.

I agree totally. Toronto crowds are very different from most US or European audiences, or East coast Canada crowds. Toronto crowds want you to win them over and prove it to them. Whereas other crowds are with you from the get go and ready to party, then if you play a good song or show they are even more with you.,

Toronto crowds are not with you until you play at least 3-4 consitent high level songs or jams that blow them away. Once they are with you they are very loud and some of the best audiences I've been a party to. But not until you break the ice (much like the women in Toronto...oh I'm gonna get it now..but it's true.)

Bottom line: Toronto crowds do not give talent the benifit of the doubt, they are very critical as they see top level talent all the time. It takes much to impress them. I know 'cause it takes a lot to impress me and I live in Toronto and feel this way to some degree.

Edited by Guest

there was a crowd of hundreds or maybe even a thousand or more dancing like crazy at the black sheep stage for amadou and miriam tonight. (what's the capacity of that area?)

i'd bet dollars to donuts there were tens of thousands dancing to spearhead too.

people dance, just gotta make them want to. hard to dance if the music doesn't make you want to dance....

i used to dance a lot, now not so much (the really dancing i mean.) it takes something really special...and i've noticed even over the past year it's less and less. for me it's like ms. hux said (but with phish). there just aren't that many bands out there that move me it seems. or it seems like the ones i want to dance to play venues where there's not much space. also, i'm getting old ;)

i don't think you have to dance to be enjoying yourself though. one thing i hate is when people try to force other people to dance, like try to drag you physically and yank your arms up and down to make you dance. some girl was doing that to me last night, and i just find it annoying. i'm enjoying myself just fine thanks anyway lady!!!

ps. yes there were lots of people dancing at spearhead tonight!

pps. yats i look forward to checking out your skillz at the next show!

Edited by Guest

i love dancing and rarely do i go to a show and not dance. I have to be pretty mellow to not dance. My only pet peeve is when I don't have enough space. Objects bother me more than people, but I detest people in my bubble. If the room is packed my bubble shrinks, but i prefer it when i've got room to groove.

people dance, just gotta make them want to. hard to dance if the music doesn't make you want to dance....

This plus inhibitions for me. I have to REALLY like a band in order to feel comfortable enough to lose it in front of other people. Last time that happened was the Black Crowes show in May.