Jambands.ca

Why does no one dance....?

YearsAlongTheSea

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started to post to this thread a few times, but have been interrupted. Here goes another attempt.

I obviously love to dance. Tied for my number one thing to do, along with a few other things ... ;):) As a matter of fact, my whole family loves dance. The only show that we ever watch on tv is So You Think You Can Dance. The first time I ever saw my wife Liana she was doing a dance on stage called The Body Electric. Yes, I love dancing, and I love watching people dance, especially beautiful women.

Dancing is contagious and infectious, and it is definitely fun when lots of people at a show have caught the disease.

Dancing is fun in many situations and in many settings.

Lots of people, including me, thoroughly enjoy live music without dancing. I'm thinking back to the Phil Lesh & Friends show that I was just at ... I did a minimal amount of dancing during that show, and had an awesome concert experience. I used to go to many sit down progressive rock concerts, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Sometimes I don't dance at these shows because there simply isn't enough room to really get down, sometimes I don't dance at these shows because they are in a sit down environment, and sometimes it's nice to focus as much energy as possible on the band. Just as dancing can create a trance-like state of bliss, so can the absence of movement.

It is frustrating when people invade my personal space when I am dancing. Having said that, if the venue is packed, it is understandable.

I am a firm believer that everybody can dance. Dancing is an art form, and a way of expressing and self-actualizing, and how well somebody dances is open to interpretation. Personally, what takes it over the top for me is when I look around and see people dancing who usually don't dance. I remember going to a Talking Heads concert at Wonderland years ago, and the whole audience was dancing ... even my high school buddies who I had never seen dance. Sure there are styles of dance, and dance moves, just as there are styles of music, and there is music theory, but just as I believe that everyone can bang on a drum, I believe that everyone can dance.

It is a huge buzz to be on stage and look out into the audience to see people dancing. As a musician, it makes you want to keep playing, and to play better.

My mom is in a wheelchair, and it always puts a huge smile on my face when she ends up on the dance floor, grooving in her chair. I still think that part of my love for dance comes from her inability to do so on her feet. Being able to move and groove is something that I so thankful to be able to do.

Dancing feeds the soul.

Peace, Mark

I dance unless I'm so hung over that I'm in immense pain. I used to be a bit shy about it but now I just don't care. One also doesn't have to "know how" to dance:

to move or seem to move up and down or about in a quick or lively manner

Now who can't do that?

It is a huge buzz to be on stage and look out into the audience to see people dancing. As a musician, it makes you want to keep playing, and to play better.

Exactly and if everyone got their groove on the show's would be so much better just in the sense that the band would have folks to draw energy and vibes from.

ms.hux and I were just talking about going to a show that isn't just about seeing a live band and bouncing about, but actually finding an event where we can dance together, holding hands, spinning each other, etc.

The Cheese man, their music is designed to spin around just like that. Also, any of the Dead bands are good as well (Ratdog the other night in Finger Lakes, Steph and I were doing a lot of just that but also at the franti show).

I think in this day and age peoople are pretty tightly wound and the band needs to bring them to a place where they are comfortable enough to move.

This means not blowing their heads off with your volume, and actually engaging them.

At Wilco last Friday Jeff Tweedy stopped @ aroudn the 1h 20min mark and emplored the audience to move with him. He said that next time they should just know that they were welcome to move. It was a seated venue (Massey Hall) and Tweedy said next to nothing up to that point to make the crowd feel apart of the show. Had he spoken earlier there would have been dancing.

In short, it's on the performers to work a room especially on Friday when most people have worked all day and are tired.

My $0.02 .

Deeps

I am a firm believer that everybody can dance. Dancing is an art form, and a way of expressing and self-actualizing, and how well somebody dances is open to interpretation.

My mom is in a wheelchair, and it always puts a huge smile on my face when she ends up on the dance floor, grooving in her chair. I still think that part of my love for dance comes from her inability to do so on her feet. Being able to move and groove is something that I so thankful to be able to do.

Dancing feeds the soul.

Peace, Mark

marco is right. mark, you rock.

I love to dance, but sometimes I'm so tired that I simply just don't move - but still really enjoy the show.

I've learned that you can't rely on other people's emotions and feelings/ and or dance moves to determine the way your night will turn out.

If you want to dance - DANCE!