Jambands.ca

Trey, Mike and the Duo setlist

bouche

^^^^^Nevermind!!!^^^^

The lights were wicked (and the music!). I haven't seen a light show that good since my last Phish show. Was it Kuroda on lights? It sure seemed like it to me.

it was the man, myth and legend on that lighting board last night

kuroda_drums_DanClinch.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that show was like a good ole fashioned roll in the hay, complete with the passionate tempo setting beginning, tension building foreplay throughout, the backing off deep breath of the acoustical interlude, and then coming right back faster and harder with that explosive 'who are you' climax. 'these eyes' woulda been the relaxing cigarette and after that there wasnt much left to do but roll over and pass out.

fuck that was good.

skanks: a pleasure, as always.... fluffhead, great to meet and party with ya, dude - kickass time... cully, marge, livingstoned - big thanks!

Go Team A!

You may be getting sick of reading it, but for those not in attendence, it really went beyond all expectations.

Stream of consciousness foggy next day highlights and observations:

1. I did not expect to be pumping my fists in the aisle from start to finish. I put as much energy as they were giving. The crowd was electric and the band fed on this throughout.

2. Props to the Hummingbird staff for being so cool.

3. Sand. Opener. Played with vigour and a sense of real purpose. Price of admission covered.

4. Type II jamming. Seriously making its appearence in the Duo songs especially.

5. Mike Gordon is becoming a top notch banjo player. That little set was really fun.

6. Joey Russo is a robot, sent from the future to save jams from obsure noodling. Whenever they need it, he was there.

7. Machine Gun Trey. All night.

8. At the end of the day, there were four musicians on stage who by all intents and purposes should be a regular touring band (Mike and the Italians?). Unfortunately, history, tradition and sense of fair play keep it from being presented as so. But they could. It would be incredible given time.

So, what am I trying to say? Big show. Important show (best of the tour so far?) Super fun show. I believe even the nay-sayers would have had their old school Phish woodies on for this one. I'm looking at you, MarcO. You would have loved it.

THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU

to Cully and crew for a smashing pre and post.

Fabulous to put faces to avatars and to see old friends again. Really good to make some real world connections to some old board friends. Fluffhead (work must be a dream for you right now), C-Towns (you didn't leave cause I beat you with my hat did you?) and of course all the other kids who I so love to run around and make merry with.

I will be checking etree hourly until this pops up.

scottie - don't think I could have said it better. From a guy that misses Phish large, take notice:

I did not miss Phish last night.

This band, if it ever became "permanent", would be a monster.

BTW - The Duo will be back in Toronto in November.

BTW - The Duo will be back in Toronto in November.

Good to know!! I was a little upset with myself for not getting tickets, but I'm going on a relatively lengthy holiday Friday morning, so I opted out. By all accounts it sounds like everyone had a great time. Looking forward to indulging in the next show...

great freakin show! Definetly exceeded all expectations, and i did leave them low just in case i got dissapointed. BOY was i wrong. Definetly had an old school phish thing goin in a few jams. Agree with scottie king i bounced from start to the god dam finish! God did i ever neeeeed that. Again thanks to onthejourney and tooly for the ticket!

Well, Ive had a day to fully digest what I saw and I do have to say I concur with pretty much everything previously posted. The Sand was definitely a kick in the boo boo. Long extended jam too... Im with M.O.B.E in the not enjoying Goodbye Head. Im really not sure what Trey was thinking writing a song with such blatant Phish references in the composed section... its literally only a couple of notes away at times...

Had a nice quick chat with Mike outside of the beir Markt... asked him if i could swing a "How about that Phil Lesh" autograph for Booche but alas his response was " I can't really let you put words in my head like that but i do like Phil"

I wonder if he would have signed Bill Leshe?

Great night, great music and so much fun seeing people I havent seen in quite some time!

great freakin show! Definetly exceeded all expectations, and i did leave them low just in case i got dissapointed. BOY was i wrong. Definetly had an old school phish thing goin in a few jams. Agree with scottie king i bounced from start to the god dam finish! God did i ever neeeeed that. Again thanks to onthejourney and tooly for the ticket!

When people say old school phish, do they mean '92 to '94, or '96 to '98 or ...?

I need to listen to the show again. Besides the acoustic/banjo set, and Sand, and teases/bits of phish songs, it didn't sound much like 'The Phish' to me. To me it sounded like Trey and Mike playing with Joe and Marco (maybe just because I've seen the Duo a bunch of times?).

met up with my buddy greg outside of the hbc and he wanted to move his car before the show...so I went with him...as we were circling around the block and were behind the hbc...who do we spot all wrapped around and mackin on some chic ? GORDO...he was a busy boy pre-show...hehe maybe he met her at the beir market ;)

met up with my buddy greg outside of the hbc and he wanted to move his car before the show...so I went with him...as we were circling around the block and were behind the hbc...who do we spot all wrapped around and mackin on some chic ? GORDO...he was a busy boy pre-show...hehe maybe he met her at the beir market ;)

Ahhh, THAT is what people mean by old school phish ! ;)

A couple of daze late, but what the hell. Had a fantastic time at the Hummingbird on Tuesday. Great way to end the day at work by heading over to C'est What for some killer pints and a good meal. Then bumped into some old friends outside the venue and proceeded to head in with Baj.

Duo had just started and I figured it would be a good time to grab a beer and a little herb prior to finding my seats. Went to the downstairs bar and found that NOBODY was there ... other than the bartender. The four of us got into a few beers and chilled on the patio all to ourselves. It was wayy too cool and we ended up staying there as more and more people came out and joined us.

Good meeting up with a lot of the folks from this board out there. It was quite the party. Totally primed by the time we had to head in for the show.

I really enjoyed myself at this gig. Like others, I was trying to keep my expectations in check. I had seen them at SPAC a couple of weeks ago and had a great time there already. In now way were we let down.

The boys all seemed to be having a lot of fun up on stage. In a number of the jams they were challenging one another and going in directions that were exploratory for us and them. It was a really unified building, IMHO. The vibe was incredible. If these guys can get a Toronto crowd going like they did, i say keep it coming. Hoping for a return sometime down the road.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

It was a really unified building, IMHO. The vibe was incredible. If these guys can get a Toronto crowd going like they did, i say keep it coming. Hoping for a return sometime down the road.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

waste was the perfect example of that.. everyone singing together..

it gives me chills when i think about it..

that moment ranks up there for musical kickass-ness..

like the bela fleck show at massey hall. when he played imagine.. and the crowd sang

who do we spot all wrapped around and mackin on some chic ? GORDO...he was a busy boy pre-show...hehe maybe he met her at the beir market ;)

uhm, ya, that's my good friend/ex-roommate from Halifax :P they've been in contact with one another for some time now, so it wasn't a groupie "pick-up" or a typical quick rump on the swings in the park or anything of the likes.

for the last 2 months she's been telling me about it on the phone. it all sounded a little too crazy, but you could imagine my surprise when she introduced me to Mike at the VIP party, "hey Mike, this is my pal Al from ALaska I told you about" :o ... :blush: ... :P

thanks to her, these last few days have been quite surreal; hanging with Mike twice (VIP party and then joining us before the show at the Bier Market) was definitely the pre-show buzz i needed. During one of our conversations, it felt like I was listening to Mike recite one of his "Mike's Corner" blurbs as he described his interest in words like "Window" and "Sluggish" that stem from it's single syllable.

as for the show itself, my expectations were met and exceeded several times.

good times; now I can return to Alaska and feel zero guilt for missing SCI performing (not that I love SCI, but that there's hardly any decent musical acts who make it up there).

looks like these eyes may become a regular?..

and they figured out how to end it..

with 'Get Back'!..

07/19/06 Plain Dealer Pavilion

by Ben Collette

Cleveland, OH July 19, 2006 08:10 PM

Host Across The Potomac

Drifting

Beltless Buckler

Mud City& >

Sleep Again

Hap-Nappy

These Eyes >

Get Back >

Mr. Completely >

Goodbye Head

You've Got Me Floating*

On The Road Again*

Wilson*^

"we're still having fun" jam >

Who Are You

Encore:

Dragonfly

Key:

&with "Billy Jean" (Michael Jackson) Jam.

+*Trey on acoustic, Mike on banjo.

^parts of "Wilson" were performed bluegrass style