Jambands.ca

Fate of Can Jam?

zero

As my little drama passed and things got back to boring around here I couldn't help but reflect on what the state of our scene really is. I mean who is the next torch bearer for Canadian jambands? There is no one out there that has the same clout that Burt and Nero had in their time, even Burt isn't Burt anymore- I think you know what I mean. Like what are the options- What The Thunder Said, Vanderpark and High Plains Drifter? We've still got JSB who likely has the highest profile although they are heading decidedly rocky and mainstream likely. Grand Theft Bus flew the jam coop. Slowcoaster doesn't really identify with the jam scene although they play to it at least in part. Certainly the Maritimes are the hub of Canadian jam activity but with recent developments it's not clear that will continue to be the case.

I agree with "Zero", the scene in my eyes has been idling at the red light for quite sometime. Not to take credit for those bands still ripping the circuit, but more shows, new venues, and new talent, must be encouraged.

Personally i think State side bands should be edged to make the journey to the North, and JamFans who love the scene must do more at recruiting newbies to the genre!!

Is the band good? ... people will go see it....it really is that simple.

I think in general people just need to support live music and some fans need to get a mind and go see a variety of bands rather than what the keep going to see out of default.

Culture is in a screwed way in general these days and being different is not celebrated like it once was....maybe if we steal Mississauga's televisions?

I think that as usual peoples taste in music is shifting somewhat. I know I don't listen to the same music I listened to 5 years ago and I wouldn't imagine anyone else would either. I'd also say that if nero were still together you would probably say its not the same old nero because I can't imagine any band that would want to sound the same for 10 years.

There are lots and lots of bands out there taking chances and improvising that don't identify with our scene. I really don't feel like it matters though as there is so much great music out there.

I know all to well what feeling nostalgic is like. Being completely biased since I was living in one of these bands, 2001-2004 were great years for what was the Canjam scene, but hey you can't live in that bubble for ever :) There's plenty of great days, great scene to come it just won't be the same.

I think that as usual peoples taste in music is shifting somewhat. I know I don't listen to the same music I listened to 5 years ago and I wouldn't imagine anyone else would either. I'd also say that if nero were still together you would probably say its not the same old nero because I can't imagine any band that would want to sound the same for 10 years.

Ratdog

First, let's abandon the whole idea of "jamband". I don't mean that in a mean way, but whatever that means, or meant, as slippery as that is, it's currency is spent.

Second, drink more beer.

Third, with all respect to them, the New Deal are kinda out of the flow the past couple of years. They gig maybe an eighth of what they used to and their members are developing their own things. You get the feeling that they play gigs because it would a shame not to do a few here and there if they are still friends and can do it, but that's not the momentum for developing success.

Finally, when will The Slip come back to Hamilton? That is all.

Peaks and Valleys.

I'm glad you used that phrase, tigger, as it characterizes something that I think is important: any given band has, as you said, peaks and valleys. Bands (or their prominences in the overall music scene) rise and fall, each on its own independent path. When a couple of bands (or several bands) are rising (or at a high point), it seems as if they're part of the same thing, despite their differences, and if/as they end up falling, we think that thing (they were part of) is also falling, as if it were its own entity.

I don't know whether the "Can Jam" scene is waxing or waning, but I do know this: my musical world is as good as, if not better than, it's ever been. No, I can't go to nero shows anymore, but I can see David Lauzon do solo stuff, or catch Mr. Something Something drive afrobeats into my brain, or have a house-rockin' good time with James McKenty And The Spades, or dig the latinjazzafrofunk of Souljazz Orchestra, or have a blast at moe.down, or have a good rehearsal with Inglewood Jack :), or see any of a whole bunch of other bands, and that's good enough for me (for now :)).

Aloha,

Brad

The Can Jam scene is in the same place as the US jam scene ... pretty much dead in the water. Things got a little better during "the hiatus" but when Phish got back together and then 'broke up' that was it ... there's no one leading the charge anymore ... there's no jam band in either country that has a mainstream profile. I saw it at shows in Kingston over the last couple of years ... GTB and JSB have been getting more or less the same turnouts for the last two years (even though the material is getting waaaayy better) and all the lesser known jam bands are pretty much doing nothing here. Things are probably different in other cities ... but there is NO jam scene here at all, when there used to be quite a good one.

there is not one canadian jamband that would get me out to the bars if they played toronto....

the only band in the "scene" that i would go see these days is Jimmy Swift Band....and they aren't a jamband.

nero had ridiculous potential and was my favorite band.... the moe.down beer tent act still gets mentioned to me by randoms when i wear a nero shirt in the states....they had a great buzz going there at one point...

the difference between here and the states is

A) it is way "cooler" to be a jamband fan south of the border than it is in a place like toronto...whcih is why its more popular out eas

B) a band like moe. can tour NY state all year and still make a living

moe. is the only "jamband" that gets me excited.

remember moe.down 3? look at the line up...that was all jam...and that line up was incredible....

It's no coincidence that many of the canjam bands have hung their skates... Ask any musician that made an impact on the canjam scene: why did you leave the road? They'd tell you that it wasn't that they didn't love playing music.

Ain't that the truth!! Many would still be doing it on a full-time basis if it were viable. Those cross-country tours can take their toll...

It's no coincidence that many of the canjam bands have hung their skates... Ask any musician that made an impact on the canjam scene: why did you leave the road? They'd tell you that it wasn't that they didn't love playing music.

Well there's a lot more going on in this response than meets the eye. What would be the answer to that question then? Would it be

a) "We love playing music but Canada is a large country with a small population and that made it hard to navigate a succesful touring market."

or,

B) "We love playing music but we tied our ponies to this 'canjam' scene in which we overestimated our potential within. It's just not that big a scene."

or how about,

c) "We love playing music but Canadians are a bunch of meanies who won't support live music."

As someone who plays in a 100% Canadian elctro-jazz/improv. band that could be thrown into the JAm catagory, I think much of the problems with the scene here has been touched on, I agree,

1. that it is extremely prohibative to tour Canada without major financial support. THe country is too biug and the population too small in most urban centers to make it dooable. Then even if you can afford toi tour it makes sense to go to the US, where you can play to more people, at a cheaper cost and you have the possibilty of growing into greater success with a more developed scene and bigger high profile venues and festivals.

2. The infastgructure is more in place int he US. More booking agents, indie labels, venues and festivals that "get" the jam band scene. Not many in Canada even know what that is!

3. The "indie"/"stight ahead" rock thing is so big right now that it swallows everyithng and inffects all other genres of music. That factor has sapped the audience fo the jam scene and the electonic music scene. Why do thing Bonnaroo and the WOrld Electronic Mcuis Festival, featured bands like: Controlled Controller, Pilate, Death Cab for Cuite, Radiohead, Mobile etc..... becauswe they know that is what is popular now and that is where ticket $$$$ can be found.

4. Canadians in general do not support or value a homegrown band (at a professional level, meaning paying like $20 at the door) until they have gone elswhere (ususally US) and played with other bands they think as "Pro", or get major media support to break through to masses. Americans will always support homegrown talent at a pro level, as they know many great acts come from thier country all the time. Compensating musicians at a pro level allows them to work more the music and the bands development as oppose to working another full time job to fill in the gaps, fianancially. THis makes the music striongewr and mroe pro as well.

Utlimately the 2 things that hurt the most, is lack of infastructer and awareness of the Jam-Band scene, in the professional music indusrty (labels, promoters, booking agents, publicists etc...), in Canada. And the size and lack opf population in this country coupled with rising gas costs.

So tough to make it happen as a Can Jam Band these days, seems like going to the US is the only way and that is prohibitavely difficult without label/management support.

Can bands have it tougher than most realize, unless you play ROCK! (and non intelligent rock at that.)

I think 'canjam' is a convenient moniker, for Canadian bands that Jam, but that's really all it is. Everyone has a different idea of 'scene' in their own mind and I'm sure most 'canjam' bands wouldnt be advertising their membership to anyone outside the scene- it's connotations are limiting and I guess a little embarrasing.

Maybe thats harsh, but I know what I pictured when I first heard the word Canjam- my crazy, long haired stoner uncle, jamming out with his buddies. Which isnt necessarily what most people are interested in musically. A misconception- of course, but still not an image a young band wants associated with them.

I suppose the crux of thes question really has to do with this community rallying behind something.. There are lots of great bands in the 'scene', just no one 'going for it' full steam, at the moment.

Although, there are lots of upcoming bands to be excited for.. Tigger is right about peaks and valleys...

all the lesser known jam bands are pretty much doing nothing here. Things are probably different in other citie

Dude...I'm pretty sure I PM'd you about 3 separate times trying to get something going in Kingston.

That aside...

I do believe there needs to be someone to lead the charge and I also believe in bringing music to towns that aren't getting a lot of it....there's no way to get it going at all if you don't take your lumps...i.e. Mr Something and WTTS playing to no one in Peterborough, but going back there in an attempt to buck that dirty trend.

I also believe if someone is going to revive this thing they are not going to be Grateful Dead derived. No disrepect to the band, but they are pretty derivative of old music and come across as old fashioned to a younger generation; so when we celebrate a heavily rootsy bands at each and every festival we are not bringing in young crowds I'm sorry but it is in fact a detterent.

People around here were getting bent out of shape because the Fattie's didn't headline the last Come Together ... I celebrated .... it showed me that the fest was making progress beyond its roots .... and that is how you revive something IMO.

I am also with Pablo, but I further this to say that I hope a band can evolve with their sound...keep their fan base and grow it without alienating a lot people.

I am not saying we are the band that is the magic elixir...in fact I think some of our stuff is a little hard for people to get into on mass, but I also think if you throw music at people late in the night that they are unsure of you can get something awesome happening and that could propel much.

See you a little later at this Come Together.