Jambands.ca

The Who at Scotiabank!!

gentlemonkey

Andre sent this to me... mini-review of last night's show.

[spoilerq:1]Setlist spoilers contained within[/spoilerq]

[spoilera:1]

From PT, The Who:

kicked off their world tour in style last night... very cool stage

set-up with multiple screens that move up & down & side-to-side.. they

can move them together or apart and show video, graphics, etc. really

one of the coolest stage set-ups that i've ever seen. as far as the

music, they played a lot of the new stuff including the new mini

rock-opera, which was really good. my favorite parts were the seeker

opener > anyway anyhow anywhere, RELAY!!, my generation (with "cry if

you want" verses in the ending), amazing journey > sparks > see me, feel

me. surprisingly no quadrophenia songs, but oh well.. best band ever!

Ollie sez, "WTF? NOTHING FROM QUADROPHENIA... THEIR BEST ALBUM?!"

[/spoilera]

Mike Patton w/Peeping Tom open in Ottawa!!

For The Who? That's an awesome little surprise!!

Hope to see you there!

hmm - according to Dub Trio's web site - they are opening up for the Who at this show ?!?

And the only reason that I was checking their web site is because they are opening up for Fishbone at CBGBs in a couple of weeks - a show which I am going to. get to go to CBGBs for one last time before they close up shop in NYC and move to LAse Vegas. I just happen to be there for a conference

Hey,

my guitar teacher just called me - he knows someone who is selling 1 Who ticket for $50 (actual value is $100). I don't know the seat location.

If interested or for more information, call Jim at 613-234-2628

lookin for 2, but i might call buddy friday afternoon if nothing pops up.

Dub trio is part of Peeping Tom. That'll be fun to see Fishbone at CBGBs!! Have fun!

um, when did this place become Scotiabank Place? when I first read this thread title, I pictured Pete Townshend windmilling on the teller counter in some local branch.

im thinking of leasing part of the sidewalk out in front of work, putting up a big neon sign that says "Jamband Way" and levying a "sidewalk maintenance fee" of ten pennies to walk on it. :crazy:

From http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/2006/09/the_who_at_jone.html

The Who at Jones Beach (9/13/06)

A good (but not great) show by The Who, marred only by a 40 minute soft spot in the middle of their soon to be released album, Wire and Glass, which, of course, nobody knew (It comes out October 30th '06).

I always thought The Who never got their due relative to the great English bands of the 1960s and 70s. Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd -- The Who are easily in that pantheon, and yet they seem to be perceived as a notch below. I can't explain.

A good band behind the 2 surviving members. The drummer was particularly sharp -- Zak Starkey, son of the Beatles' Ringo Starr, did a surprisingly excellent job as Keith Moon's replacement.

Peter & Roger:

pete_roger.jpg

The stage and lighting worked well:

who_blue.jpg

concert_blue.jpg

Video: Download Baba O'Riley

I am striking out when it comes to finding the playlists -- Here's what I remember:

I Can't Explain

The Seeker,

Anyway Anyhow Anywhere

Who Are You,

Behind Blue Eyes

Baba O'Riley

Relay

My Generation

Won't Get Fooled Again

Substitute

Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me

Man In A Purple Dress

Good Looking Boy

Black Widow Eyes

mini-opera from Wire and Glass,

DID NOT PERFORM:

The Kids Are Alright

Let's See Action

Magic Bus

anything from Quadraphenia

Young Man Blues

Happy Jack

Summertime Blues

You Better You Bet

Join Together

I Can See For Miles

Slip Kid

Bargain

Love Ain't for Keeping

Getting In Tune

Going Mobile

Bargain

One interesting aspect of the show was the taping for DVD of the show. The band will offer for sale sale a CD/DVD of your precise concert via The Music Store.

courtesy of freerange:

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Fragments, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door, Baba O'Riley, Eminence Front, Black Widows Eyes, You Better You Bet, My Generation, Cry If You Want, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theater

great show - very tight. some of the new stuff is okay - not all pee and beer break material actually.

The Ottawa Sun's review is here.

Not bad for Denis Armstrong. He only screwed up two song titles.

I had so much fun last night! Even with the amount of new material, which meant they had to drop some classics (nothing from Quadrophenia for example), I consider this the show of the year and maybe in my all-time top ten. Nothing like 8th row center floor seats to see one of your favourite bands for the first time ever. But I agree with Dave -- too short! It was two hours and it flew by.

Highlight for me was the Tommy medley. It was Live at Leeds right in front of my eyes.

Peeping Tom were great but went over everyone's head.

Also, I have really warmed to Scotiabank Place as a venue. The staff are really chill. I consistently have a good time there.