Jambands.ca

the Slip, Club Lambi, Montreal, Oct. 4th, 2006

Blane

Fun show! Probably about 50-75 people there. Coulda easily had a nice ottawa contingent along with us!

Brad's singing was in TOP form. Can't wait to share out the recording. I'm sure folks will be really impressed.

Suffocation Keep, Airplane/Primitive, Even Rats, I Hate Love, Paperbirds, Happy Snails, Soft Machine, Ambrosia Drunk>Children of December

Edited by Guest

Clearly they have made it. 50-75 people is a mammoth turnout.

Yeah, the slip has probably the worst self-promotion of any band in this city. There wasn't a single poster up around town, they had absolutely no merch (while the other 2 bands, who weren't really any good had a full table). I can only assume they don't want a high profile here. THe good news is that all 3 members were present.

No kidding about the cookie cutter setlists. I just don't get that at all. If they pulled that at a show I was at I'm not sure how I'd respond. I think part of it is that with Marc in Boston they don't rehearse and some of the old arrangements are lost on them. Still when's the last time they played Johnny's Tune, Dogs On Bikes, Yellow Medecine and hell THE EARTH WILL DISSEVER AND CONSUME YOU AFTER THESE MESSAGES.

Agreed. I remember the days you'd go to a Slip show and anything could happen, the anticipation of the countless possiblities before any show was one of the best parts of the Slip. Now you know that the exact same songs are coming out night after night, played brilliantly of course but lacking in imagination. I guess with Marc so far away these are just the songs they've got nailed down and can whip out at a a moments notice, fine for the casual or new fan but for those that like seeing them and have seen them repeatedly its dull and uninspired. I'm all about the Slip getting huge and making it in the biz but not like this. And Brad needs to cut out the damn singing lessons, go back to dying onstage for us like you used to, no one wants a polished voice.

AND WHERE THE FUCK IS MY ALSOA!?!?

Not sure on the business end I think that has gotten better. They've been through so many over the last few years, managers, agents etc.

even then it seems they leave a spot on their setlist every night for one "random great song we never play" then its right back into the sctick, god forbid they'd play two.

So true that is exactly how it feels for me.

it's funny, at the show last night I shouted out "Get Me With Fuji" and brad looked over and grinned. Then they started into this spacey/distortion jam which both Mark (jahdawg) and I thought was Fuji, but then morphed into Soft Machine. So close, but yet so far.

Edited by Guest

Agreed. I remember the days you'd go to a Slip show and anything could happen, the anticipation of the countless possiblities before any show was one of the best parts of the Slip.

I think there's more to what they play...like HOW they play it? I don't know how you guys can complain. Yeesh!

10 bucks says you're already downloading this so-called cookie-cutter set.

Come on Bouche you know the point we're making. Who wants to go and see multiple nights of the same show. Hell who wants to here those tunes over and over. I really hope that side of the Slip isn't dead. It may just be though. I need to ask in an interview.

As for Fuji (and Wolof) for that matter if I never hear those songs again it will be too soon.

Come on Bouche you know the point we're making. Who wants to go and see multiple nights of the same show. Hell who wants to here those tunes over and over. I really hope that side of the Slip isn't dead. It may just be though. I need to ask in an interview.

As for Fuji (and Wolof) for that matter if I never hear those songs again it will be too soon.

Which one of you guys are actually going to see the Slip night after night? I don't see the point of aching over setlists that people aren't experiencing. I can see being dissapointed visiting a Slip show every night only to witness the same tunes (mostly), but is it really The Slip's fault? They're not making anyone follow them.

That's beside the point because you guys aren't following them around.

I've got the show, and I'll keep seeding it until Luke gets on the BT Train ;)

Mike if you actually went to see them more maybe you'd know what I'm talking about. My point is well documented first hand. You don't need to see them every night to know whats going on, its been going on for a while. In the last 2 years the 5-6 shows that I've seen, the pattern keeps repeating itself so much so that i have a new game of predicting what the next song will be with scary accuaracy based soley on what the haven't played yet that night. It sucks. Don't get me wrong I love the Slip more than almost anyone I just refuse to fluff them when they are doing something wrong.