Jambands.ca

the Slip, Club Lambi, Montreal, Oct. 4th, 2006

Blane

this is just a thought, certainly not a full fledged theory...but i wonder if through side stepping ever closer into the scope of the popular music format they've achieved more popular success. I mean, look at the marked difference between their old and new sound or by playing these similar setlists, and then look at this mmj tour they've scored, is it coincidence or cause? i hope we don't turn into the bitter resentful original fans that curse their stadium tours and watered down singles.

i've downloaded shows and looked at setlists and i'd have to agree with freeker. I don't think that the brothers move to montreal had much influence on this repetitious trend as it's been going on FAR longer than the boys have been seperated. So while i'm certainly not GLAD i haven't made it to a show in 2 years, i'm glad that at least i don't have to feel like i'm missing out on a lot of amazing shows.

Mike if you actually went to see them more maybe you'd know what I'm talking about. My point is well documented first hand. You don't need to see them every night to know whats going on, its been going on for a while. In the last 2 years the 5-6 shows that I've seen, the pattern keeps repeating itself so much so that i have a new game of predicting what the next song will be with scary accuaracy based soley on what the haven't played yet that night. It sucks. Don't get me wrong I love the Slip more than almost anyone I just refuse to fluff them when they are doing something wrong.

I guess that I just don't play this setlist game. I go to a Slip show...enjoy the music and I'm usually just blown away at how the band has played.

That's the part I can't comprehend.

No kidding about the cookie cutter setlists. I just don't get that at all. If they pulled that at a show I was at I'm not sure how I'd respond. I think part of it is that with Marc in Boston they don't rehearse and some of the old arrangements are lost on them. Still when's the last time they played Johnny's Tune, Dogs On Bikes, Yellow Medecine and hell THE EARTH WILL DISSEVER AND CONSUME YOU AFTER THESE MESSAGES.

you know, there's a lot of songs i dont want to hear them play anymore. mostly because i think they'd suck. why? because a) they're obviously not in that headspace these days, and B) they probably havent been practicing these tunes much, either. so why would i want to hear shitty versions of these songs? i dont even feel that a lot of these songs would fit in the context of what they're doing these days. certainly there are exceptions... TEWDACYATM, Wolof and More Intense Surveillance are a few that come to mind that i think really fit in with what they're doing... but somehow i cant see a yellow medicine coming off in a crowd of new slip fans... which, lets face it, is what's happening more and more as old school fans drop off and they hit more mass markets (via guitar hero, tour w/ mmj, new album, etc)...

... i dunno... do you really go to shows to hear a song? or to go to see the band? if it's just to hear a song, why not put on the best version you have?

im not saying i completely disagree with the setlist argument, multi-night runs can get a little tiring.. i guess im just putting on my AD (advocate, Devils) hat...

but when i think about it for myself, strictly speaking, i dont mind hearing a bunch of songs i really like in a concert, as long as they're played well. and for me, when the slip are at their finest is when there's a certain element of grit to the music. i like a gritty slip. im listening to the montreal show as i type, and for the first half i really thought it was too "performed" rather than "played", you know? i like it best when they just play, balls to the wall with some dirt under the nails - whatever it is they're doing, as long as it has that element, im a happy listener.

This talk of setlists made me laugh. When Dave and Jay and I were driving around trying to make up a setlist for a show, we made a up a term for the setlists followers. We would try to think of the songs we played the last time we were in whatever particular city/town we were in, and if we didn't mix the setlist up enough from the last time, the "setlist fairies" might show up in the middle of the night and cut our balls off.

As far as I am concerned, The Slip is doing the best thing to get their music out to as many people as possible and ensure that they can have careers making music for the rest of their lives, as it should be. The old days of "tour rats" getting different shows every night is not the best way to accomplish this. If anyone ever deserved to be handsomely rewarded for their music, it is these boys and I hope that they are doing the right thing and that they get what they deserve and I get to go see them play for many years to come.

Call me what you want, I am right. The setlist game? What the hell does that even mean. My point is that they no longer embody the spirit of spontanity and creativity they used to, I don't give a shit about song stats. I give a shit that "Children of Decemember leads into I hate Love", "oh they played Even Rats tonight I guess that means no Mudslide or no Fuji". Its turning into predicatable bullshit. Punk you of all people should know what I'm talking about. The Slip isn't in the buisiness of blowning minds anymore, sure they still play flawlessly and its great to be in their presence, but its not the fucking magic it used to be...And if you can't agree with that then you either haven't seen then lately, don't have a clue, or were to busy sucking their cocks to hear what was going on.

Now change my subtitle back Bouche if thats the only arrguement you have then that pretty much proves my point.

Call me what you want, I am right. The setlist game? What the hell does that even mean. My point is that they no longer embody the spirit of spontanity and creativity they used to, I don't give a sh!t about song stats. I give a sh!t that "Children of Decemember leads into I hate Love", "oh they played Even Rats tonight I guess that means no Mudslide or no Fuji". Its turning into predicatable bullshit. Punk you of all people should know what I'm talking about. The Slip isn't in the buisiness of blowning minds anymore, sure they still play flawlessly and its great to be in their presence, but its not the fuÇking magic it used to be...And if you can't agree with that then you either haven't seen then lately, don't have a clue, or were to busy sucking their cocks to hear what was going on.

100% Agreed.

I haven't seen them lately but I trust your opinion enough to believe you if you say

its not the fuÇking magic it used to be

My point is that the elite club that actually gives a shit about what you are talking about don't pay their bills. Sure those are the most knowledgeable, rabid fans that they could have. But maybe they are taking the path of trying to generate as many new fans as possible; by playing their greatest hits every night maybe they are keeping alive their dream that they can keep the fucking band together at all. I first saw The Slip at Oswego in '99, then Evolve 2; then saw them play small bar shows in Canada and the States, saw first hand and played with other bands that told us stories of them playing in next to empty venues in the States. Hearing those stories of them playing to nobody pains me far more than them having a predictable setlist ever could.

They don't deserve turnouts with these cookie cutter setlists.

P.S. I am not really trying to argue, The Slip at Come Together was one of my favourite shows ever, but this is the part that pains me about your opinion. I think its selfish.

Edited by Guest

It is totally selfish I completely agree. I'm sick of my favorite bands falling apart and I want that to stop happening. I guess I'm a selfish fairy now huh?

I realize theat it can't be easy for them with Marc so far away and that picking a handful of songs that they have down so they can gig at a moments notice is probably the best idea since they don't have the option of practicing. But when you see them on stage, it seems like they don't even care anymore, and if the try bringing that apathy on MMJ tour, MMJ's fans will just show them the door.

Did someone say fairy?

Punk-Fu.jpg

sorry bro had to be done.

Now back to my hiatus of giving my opinion on here, its too much like giving a "Dog in a Bathtub".

Did someone say fairy?

Fairy? Look at that shirt, thats a Jimmy Page in The Firm shirt. 100% rock and roll. :)

But when you see them on stage, it seems like they don't even care anymore

I have never seen this, if I did maybe my opinion would be different.

Edited by Guest

But when you see them on stage, it seems like they don't even care anymore

I have never seen this, if I did maybe my opinion would be different.

Yeah, I have no clue what he's talking about there either. Last time I saw them, they sure as hell seemed to care. You'd think that Brad Barr playing a show with 1 finger out of commission from a baguette cutting accident would be a clue.