Jambands.ca

Plasma/LCD/DLP - Help

SevenSeasJim

SmoothedShredder can probably answer that question for you Gateaux. I like typing Gateaux.

Hmmm don't know if I can... I'll try. I got a 23" Widescreen Proview HD TV that I used first off as a computer monitor (it's like two 17"monitors side by side), but now I use for everything screen related. It was under $1000, so it's probably not 'the best' in terms of having 'deep blacks' or things like that... but it's still friggin great... even got rid of my old TV and moved the compter outta the office and into the living room. I've noticed the next generation are at Futureshop, so they could be better, and in the year I've had it, the price dropped $60 (around $800-$1000 depending on deals/tax/warranty) on the 'next gens' and my model was priced for clerance.

In terms of 'problems' I have encountered... it's a little slow (but not fatally slow, more 1 second into annoying) changing between TV and Computer, or say your DVD, and the TV speakers are okay, but not the best, but since I'm right close to my stero now, I'm one wire away from fixing that, and I'm still not used to 'widescreen' tv, so I'm not sure if some of the warping at the edges is due to that, but in computer mode, everything is the way it should be... and big! Spreadsheets, Graphic Design, YouTube, Games, are all pumped up cause of this puppy I stare too long at anyways!, but the space I save cause of the flatness... it's great...

I would strongly suggest that you buy a panel TV-LCD or Plasma are both good. DLP/LCD Rear Projection and CRT will not exist in the near future which says alot. Replacing bulbs in projection sets is going to be a major expense and hassle as time wears on. Trust me on this one...

Plasma is best in terms of performance but if you plan on using it as a PC display or primarily for a video game system then it's not for you. Movies & TV are where these things clean up. Not the best for rooms with alot of windows where you watch during the day as the glass will reflect more light than the matte finish on an LCD. You'll hear a lot of bad talk about plasma but it's 99% BS.

LCD is better for brighter rooms, or if you plan on using it for the purposes mentioned above. Make sure that you buy an IPS or Super IPS if you decide on LCD, the ones that are not will look like shit if you are off center. It's easy to tell if an LCD set is not IPS, if you touch the screen and it ripples badly, it's not IPS. If you take 3-5 steps in either direction and skin tones and all other colours fade, then it's not IPS.

DLP/LCD Rear Projection and CRT will not exist in the near future which says alot.

I don't have a HiDef TV but of the ones I've seen the CRT ones impress me the most. Sure they are bulky but I'll sacrifice that for picture quality. Can you spell out the "which says alot" for me? Thanks.