Jambands.ca

Questions for ipod users...

Mr. Photogeek

So I'm finally joining the ipod cult (yay Christmas!) and have a couple of probably really dumb questions...

First I have an older car with a cd player/radio only, so I guess I have to get the thing that connects my ipod through the radio to listen to it in the car right? OK assuming I am correct, any recomendations? I have heard some don't work all that well so I was hoping for personal experience from some of you guys. BTW I will be getting the new ipod video if that matters...

Second...I want to digitize my music collection which looks like it will be a large task, so I want to start this now so I have it all ready for when I get my ipod. What quality/compression should I save the MP3's at? I'm not an audiophile by any means, but don't want them to sound like shit you know? I am thinking 128 kbps...

One thing I do know is that I'm getting a gelaskin for sure...checking out the website today, and already picked out the one I want...some cool stuff on there!

Thanks in advance...

mike

I've been experimenting with a few different fm transmitters for the car. The iTrip worked ok, but was expensive, and requires additional cords if you want to be able to charge your ipod while your drive. If you don't the iTrip causes the ipod battery to drain fairly quickly. You'll get about three hours. The iTrip is also very expensive, and I did get some interfearance from time to time.

I've tried two other cheaper devices that charge while they transmit but the sound quality is very poor.

make sure you setup iTunes (in preferences) to rip at higher than the default. As for the discs that are not official and came from live recordings, you will have to add all of the track titles, so you may want to start collecting those.

One you add "Even Rats" though, you'll have an easier time naming another even rats as iTunes keeps a database of all your artists and track titles and utilizes it for autofilling the fields.

I'm still shopping for my own car audio upgrade solution. I want to be able to plug the ipod directly into the deck so it displays track info, and so I can control the iPod.

New ipods will liekly be coming out in january or february. I'd keep that in mind too.

make sure you setup iTunes (in preferences) to rip at higher than the default. As for the discs that are not official and came from live recordings, you will have to add all of the track titles, so you may want to start collecting those.

One you add "Even Rats" though, you'll have an easier time naming another even rats as iTunes keeps a database of all your artists and track titles and utilizes it for autofilling the fields.

I'm still shopping for my own car audio upgrade solution. I want to be able to plug the ipod directly into the deck so it displays track info, and so I can control the iPod.

New ipods will liekly be coming out in january or february. I'd keep that in mind too.

Thanks Bouche...I never thought of the naming thing...when I'm at home and don't recognize the song I just check out the text file...might be a little difficult in the car though!

i had on old itrip and it sucked. i had another fm transmitter put out by another company and it sucked. the ones that work the best are the big clunky ones from radio shack.

i'm doing the same as bouche, waiting til the next round of alpine decks come out so i can get a CDA9857 cheap. fully controls the ipod from the stereo controls, displays all the info in the dash, etc etc...

One thing that's really going to annoy you if you listen to live music is the gaps that an ipod puts between the tracks. Luckily, if your ipod model supports it (and if you have enough nerd blood in you) you can install 3rd party firmware that blows apple's crap out of the water (it will let your ipod play any format including flac, with gapless output and other "audiophile" features). it's definitely worth looking at:

http://www.rockbox.org

one of the new itunes / ipod features that was released about 3 weeks ago is gapless playback.

so, they fixed that.

I think that only works for 5G iPods. Strange how it's such a tough feature to implement. Have an on/off switch for the feature!

Apple's doing it in a more intelligent way that get iTunes figuring out what tunes actually go together. That part is beyond me though.

I was just curious if the ipod can play lossless formats. I know rockbox has native support for FLAC as well as just about any other format except WMA.

Another great resource on making the best quality audio rips is hydrogen audio (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame)

though I guess we are getting a little off topic n stuff

I've got the Griffin Road Trip that I've been using for almost a year now. It plugs into the cigarette lighter so it charges the iPod as you go and can get unlimited mileage out of it. It has a great sound imho. A bit clunky and cumbersome sometimes, though, depending on where the lighter is located on the dash.

cheers

adambrot

well the DRM from Apple only applies to songs bought from the itunes store, no? And sure you can take the files off the ipod, you won't be able to play them except on your 5 authorized itunes-equipped computers.

or are we talking apples and oranges again?