Go Habs Go - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller
Pay attention Roller.

What Kanada Kev just did is a worthy post in the Go Habs Go thread.

Apologies my liege. Sometimes I allow my enthusiasm for the Canadiens organization to overshadow more important primal stimuli. While considering a response to your statement, keeping in mind you recently celebrated a milestone birthday, I think that I have managed to find an equitable solution to the problem:

boochebdayhy3.jpg

Guest Low Roller

That picture only depicts the greatest moment in recent Habs history. If you were a real fan you would not slight it. ;)

Habs chicks are hot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

Rollie Melanson has confirmed that the Habs are on the lookout for a new depth goalie who would play as #1 goalie in Hamilton and be capable of playing at the NHL level if called upon.

Current Habs pecking order is:

1- Carey Price

2- Jaroslav Halak (RFA)

3- Yann Danis

(Most likely leaving since he's UFA and wants a crack at the NHL with another club)

4- Cedrick Desjardins

(AHL contract only, destined to be #2 in Hamilton next season)

5- Loic Lacasse

(can't even break into the ECHL after two years in the pros)

On top of the new #3 goalie, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the Habs draft a goalie at this year's entry draft just to pad the ranks a little bit.

Backward+Hab+Neg.jpg

Guest Low Roller

The Cyclones are one win from winning the Kelly Cup in the ECHL. They are also the last Habs-related thing going on this season after the Memorial Cup finished. Crowds in Cincinnati have been averaging 15.5K in the two home games thus far in the finals... not bad at all you must admit. It smokes what the Bulldogs were able to draw last year in Hamilton.

Yeah, Booche and I were talking earlier about what Mtl's lines would look like if all Eklund's rumours came true. Something like:

Lecavalier- Kovalev - Selanne

Jokinen - Koivu - Kostitsyn

Sundin - Tanguay - Higgins

Plekanec - Latendresse - Kostitsyn

;)

Guest Low Roller
Maxim Lapierre, nOoB

Speaking of which, rumour coming from CKAC is that Maxim Lapierre signed a new two-year deal. Nothing official yet.

Guest Low Roller
Lapierre will make $575,000 this season and $800,000 in 2009-'10.

Those are some wicked cap-friendly numbers. I was thinking more in the 0.8 range for this season.

Someone loves playing in Montreal.

Guest Low Roller
In his brief press scrum in Ottawa today, Bob Gainey offered a variation on the mantra he's been repeating since the trade deadline:

The Canadiens, Gainey said, would like to land an "accomplished forward." I take this to be synonymous with "impact forward." Gainey also said if he had his druthers, the acquisition would be a centre.

I think Gainey will make a run at Olli Jokinen tomorrow. I can see him offering Florida the Canadiens' first-round pick plus an established

player (Christopher Higgins?) plus a prospect (Ryan McDonagh?).

That's a steep price – and it may not be enough. I'd pay it because I love Jokinen and I think he'd be great on this team.

I think Plan B is Mats Sundin. He'd be as good a fit as Jokinen and, as a UFA, Sundin wouldn't cost the Canadiens any players. But I see him staying in Toronto or going to Detroit.

Gainey cited "$6 or $7 million" as his UFA budget. That won't put the Canadiens in the Marian

Hossa sweepstakes – and I'm fine with that.

• • •

Gainey met today with Andrei Kostitsyn's agent, Don Meehan for what he described as a "solid discussion.". They'll meet again tomorrow.

I see AK46 signed by the middle of next week. No idea what it will cost the Canadiens. You gotta figure north of $2 million, no?

• • •

As best I can divine from nhlnumbers.com, which is fairly authoritative, Canadiens have 17 players under contract for 2008-'09 with a cap total of $37.319 million and a bous cushion of $1.55 million.

This means they've got about $17 million to spend. Part of that will be used to re-sign RFAs: Andrei K, Josh Gorges, Ryan O'Byrne and – I hope –

Jaroslav Halak.

That should leave what, about $8 million to $10 million?

Jokinen is signed for two more seasons at $5.25 million and $5.5 million – ridiculously affordable.

Sundin made $5.5 million this season in Toronto. He'll get a two-year deal from someone willing to pay at least $6 million.

Money-wise, Canadiens are in the hunt.

Gainey didn't come right out and say so, but he hinted strongly they're going to let Mark Streit walk.

I'm not too upset. Streit had a great season points-wise, but most of his production was on the power play.

Will losing him cripple the PP?

If Canadiens adjusted to the loss of Sheldon Souray, they'll figure out how to get by without Mark Streit.

I can see Sergei K playing the right point on the first wave of the PP.

Streit is versatile. But his versatility translates to decent third- or fourth-line forward who prefers playing defence, where he's a soft number 5 or 6 D-man.

• • •

Gainey said the Canadiens won't buy out Mathieu Dandenault. They'll either trade him or keep him.

• • •

Fearless prediction: If Nicolas Deschamps – whom Pierre McGuire, in his TSN mock draft tonight, had the Canadiens taking – is gone at 25, Gainey will trade the pick for an extra second-rounder.