Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller
I hope that shut that french fuÇker Rejean Tremblay from La Presse up now.

Was that him again who complained after the draft that they didnt take any french-canadians even though they traded for Tanguay?

Whoever he was sure showed his idiocy.

That's the guy.

He wouldn't be happy unless the team was being managed by the FLQ.

Guest Low Roller

Some good soundbytes from George Laracque:

Steve Bégin et Maxim Lapierre sont des gars intenses, mais ce ne sont pas des poids lourds. Un gars comme moi va leur permettre de continuer à déranger sans se faire défier ou recevoir des gants dans la face. Un gars comme Komisarek ne devrait jamais avoir à se battre. Ma présence ici va lui enlever de la pression. Le club ne devrait pas avoir à le perdre pendant cinq minutes au banc des punitions parce qu'il a dû défendre un coéquipier. Quand je jouais contre le Canadien, je pouvais me permettre certaines libertés. Je me rappelle d'une fois contre Francis Bouillon où j'y avais été fort parce que je savais que personne ne viendrait me demander des comptes. Jouer contre le Canadien, c'était comme une soirée facile, et j'en tirais profit.

Translating and paraphrasing his comments:

- Begin and Lapierre are intense guys, but they are not heavyweights.

- A guy like Komisarek shouldn't have to fight defending his teammates, he's too valuable to be in the penalty box for five minutes.

- When he used to play against the Habs he would take certain liberties because he knew nobody would challenge him. Cited an example of roughing up Boullion and concluded that playing against the Habs was "an easy night" for him.

I saw Muller a bit on Canada Day and asked him what he thought the chances of Montreal landing Sundin are. He said if he plays that the Habs have an 80% chance. That being said he feels it's 50/50 that Sundin even comes back to the NHL.

He basically said Gainey provided the Habs best sales pitch and if Sundin is not just about the money the Habs are defenitely in the running.

It's not about money or years right now. Sundin can get that from a few teams. It's all where he feels he wants to be. No one knows that but him.

This would all be over if Muller called Mats himself. Seriously.

"I took a TON of beatings when I was on the Maple Leafs for you buddy. Hell, remember that time my face was violated by Keith Primeau? And I got you laid a bunch too. You fucking owe me. Sign here."

This would all be over if Muller called Mats himself. Seriously.

"I took a TON of beatings when I was on the Maple Leafs for you buddy. Hell, remember that time my face was violated by Keith Primeau? And I got you laid a bunch too. You fucking owe me. Sign here."

Muller getting dummied by Primeau was classic. Even afterwards Kirk kept his sense of humour. The exchange leaving the ice went something like this...

Primeau: " I always looked up to you, you were one of my heros "

Kirk: " Couldn't you have just asked for an autograph then "

Guest Low Roller

According to Mark Streit, with the new contract he signed with the Islanders he became Switzerland's second highest paid athlete right after Roger Federer.

Some interesting notes from Carbo..

Guy Carbonneau called the acquisition of Alex Tanguay a "Christmas present that came before July 1."

"He may have had some difficulties last season," the coach added, "But his style will mesh very well with the kinds of players we have. And at the age he's coming here, I think he'll be able to handle the pressure of playing in Montreal."

Carbo said neither he nor Gainey had made any promises to Tanguay in terms of potential linemates. The coach and gm will see how things work out on the ice, as was the case last season, Carbonneau recalled, in finding a line combination that suited Alex Kovalev.

Re Laraque, Carbo said "it's not my style of coaching to have a guy at the end of the bench just to fight."

"I haven't changed my philosophy," Carbonneau added. "I think Georges can contribute. He understands his role and he's a mature player with a lot of experience."

Will Laraque give Carbonneau the kind of minutes he got from his fourth liners last season?

"I hope so. I talked to Georges, and that's one thing we're going to work on this year, working hard in practice so he can put those minutes on the ice.

"I like to use four lines. I always did, and I don't think I'm going to change. He's going to have to be in good shape and reliable defensively. But I know who he is, I've seen him play and I know he can do it."

Carbonneau said that although the new schedule isn't out yet, he expects Canadiens will play more back-to-back and three-in-four-nights sequences.

Carbonneau seemed quite comfortable with the amount of time Mats Sundin is taking to determine his future. His serenity – while describing Sundin as an "extraordinarily good fit" with the Canadiens – suggests the club may be in a better position vis-à-vis Sundin than anyone is letting on.

When asked about Vancouver's offer, Carbonneau said "no one is going to spit on $20 million, but if competing offers are between $7 million and $8.5 million (per season), once you factor in taxes there's a difference of may $1 million, $1.5 million.

"I think Mats Sundin has plenty of money in the bank. Money won't necessarily be the deciding factor in where he chooses to finish his career.

"Everyone who knows Mats says he makes decisions when he's ready. I don't think he was ready July 1, and I think he's still not ready."

And with the Rangers and Detroit spending up to near the cap, Carbonneau says "I like our chances" of landing Sundin.

On Mark Streit: "After the kind of season Mark had, we knew it would be hard to re-sign him. We like Mark, but we have other priorities."

Mathieu Dandenault: "The season doesn't begin until October and he's still a member of the Montreal Canadiens. With the kind of schedule we're going to have, we'll need more than 20 players. We were extremely lucky last season to avoid serious injuries, and we'll need depth in our lineup."

On a possible cap squeeze: "I think we can sign Sundin and still have a cushion"

On the situation at centre: "We've tried Chris Higgins at centre. We can till try Sergei (Kostitsyn) if we want to. Steve Beegin has experience at centre. We have different options. Nothing is in stone. We're laying ine pre-season games and we'll try different combinations."

On the market: "I'm not surprised by the money. They give that kind of money because they can. But I'm surprised by the length of some contracts, especially for average or above-average players."

On Mike Komisarek getting a mega-contract next year: "I'm sure we can reach up. We have the money and some room left. I'm sure they'll figure out something. I don't think he's going anywhere."

The Montreal Canadiens have signed goaltender Jaroslav Halak to a two-year contract worth $1.55 million, that will see him get paid $750,000 in 2008-09 and $800,000 in 2009-10.

“Jaroslav has proven to be a quality NHL goaltender. He played very well for us when called upon over the past two seasons. He is young competitor with great skills and an excellent work ethic '' said Canadiens general manger Bob Gainey.

Halak, 23, will begin his third season in the NHL this fall. In 2007-08, he played six games with the Canadiens, posting a 2-1-1 record, a 2.11 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage. He played in 28 games with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs, posted a 15-10-2 record, a 2.10 goals against average and maintained the AHL's second-best save percentage (.929).

A native of Bratislava, Slovakia, Halak was selected in the ninth round by the Canadiens, 271st overall in

the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He played in a total of 22 career games in the NHL, posting a 12-7-1 record, a 2.71

goals-against average and a .913 save percentage.

Guest Low Roller

Seems like they got him for cheap. Now all that's left is Josh Gorges and Ryan O'Byrne to lock up and we got ourselves a team.

Guest Low Roller

255351_resize.jpg

Josh Gorges has signed for $3.3M over 3 years. Another fantastic contract, which may still leave room for a certain Sundin.

Guest Low Roller

I figured Dandy would the 7th D-man this year... Now I really don't know where he'll fit. At least they confirmed that Smolinski won't be back.

Guest Low Roller

Jason Missiaen is the Habs new 6'8" goalie who was drafted last June... RDS showed some footage of him from the Habs development camp... This kid is a MONSTER:

missaien1ir1.jpg