Jambands.ca

New Poll: Conservative support in Quebec Slip Slidin' Away

Hux

Scandal....pfft.....see my post above (snake oil, etc.).

You are either forgetful or ignorant of the facts. Or both I suppose.

In October 2004, a few months after the June election, the Martin Gov't almost fell after the CPC threatened to vote against the Speech from the Throne, unless amendments were made. They were. Harper would've voted down the Gov't.

Then.....oh yeah....MAY OF LAST YEAR!?! (11 months after the 2004 election) Remember that minor news story....confidence vote....Stronach.....Cadman.....Speaker breaks tie vote....

Yeeeesh.....

again, easy there 'my job is to sit on parliament hill'... i do okay considering how far removed i am from the place. no need for the "yeeeeeeeesh....".

i will give you the whole snake, oil thing if you want... but i think the majority of canadians who aren't politicos, such as myself, looked at the sponsorship scandal and pegged the entire liberal party under the same scandal umbrella. they weren't so much concerned over who said what and who did what within the party, just that the party itself was involved. that, coupled with a decade long rule by a party that seemed to be enjoying the whole 'governing party of canada' title, tipped the voter scales.

so i'll take back that the CPC gave the 'same luxury' and say instead that they gave some amount of luxury, considering what was going on at the time. right now, scandal doesn't shroud the CPC.

2004 Paul Martin gets his minority government which doesn't come down until January of 2006, when Stephen Harper forms his minority government with the CPC, two years later. I mentioned that I hoped Harper be given at least a year before they topple his government and you said if only the CPC afforded the liberals that same luxury. By offering up those dates, i'm saying the CPC gave them more than that luxury. And I'd go onto say that they had legitimate reason to attempt to topple the Liberals too! SCANDAL!

Then you missed my point. Sure, Martin's Liberals had roughly 2 years in office but how much time did they actually get to govern, pass legislation, etc. and how much time was spent fending off attacks from the CPC? Remember all the time Harper spent trying to bring about their downfall back in spring 2005?

That's why I find it so hard to take when the CPC and its supporters crow about giving this government a chance.

but i think the majority of canadians who aren't politicos, such as myself, looked at the sponsorship scandal and pegged the entire liberal party under the same scandal umbrella

So, using that reasoning, you really shouldn't object to anyone pegging the entire CPC under the hard-right-wing-religious-conservatve umbrella.

So, using that reasoning, you really shouldn't object to anyone pegging the entire CPC under the hard-right-wing-religious -conservatve umbrella.

*sigh* so then using that logic, you too really shouldn't object to anyone pegging the entire Liberal party under that scandal umbrella then, should you? I mean from your posts in this forum, the picture you wish to paint of the CPC looks like a friggin' Van Gogh. It's a two way street Hux. Only difference is you work on Parliament Hill, are in the game, and very well know what you're doing.

but I'm not totally a subscriber to that logic. the Sponsorship scandal came to light in 2004, Martin's name wasn't cleared until November of 2005. that's almost a WHOLE YEAR where the Canadian people are left to think that their Prime Minister, serving as MINISTER OF FINANCE {of all cabinet positions) is corrupt.

If people want to be average then they are doing a disservice to their fellow countryman. Just look at the mess the US is in. While the rest of the world braced for GWB to be re-elected, knowing full well the ramifications, the populace still went out and did it.

i agree booche.. but i don't think anyone tries to be average.. i think life flies by before anyone really realizes what's going on around them.

but I'm not totally a subscriber to that logic. the Sponsorship scandal came to light in 2004, Martin's name wasn't cleared until November of 2005. that's almost a WHOLE YEAR where the Canadian people are left to think that their Prime Minister, serving as MINISTER OF FINANCE {of all cabinet positions) is corrupt.

Unless those people subscribed to the "innocent until prove guilty" concept.

yah, unless. it's a lot to stomach though when it's the Prime Minister of your country on the line.

for me in that time period, i was just more excited at finally seeing a chance for change. i really didn't sink too much into the scandal, other than providing the opportunity for someone else to have a shot at governing.

lol

easy there member of the firing squad... LITERALLY.

i feel... attacked.

i feel like i've been saying 'easy there' a lot lately too.

and for what it's worth when

yah, unless. it's a lot to stomach though when it's the Prime Minister of your country on the line.

i was referring to the Canadian people, at large... not me.. i outlined elsewhere how i felt about the whole thing!!!!!!!!

;)