Jambands.ca

what the thunder said, Vanderpark - Guelph - Friday Oct 20

Deeps

Pleased to be hosting Vanderpark this week.

We've also got a fledgling Guelph progressive rock quartet named Burrows that is oozing with talent joining us.

Sched:

Burrows - 10:30

Vanderpark - 11:30

WTTS - 12:30

Cover:

Cover is $7.00

Venue:

Club Vinyl - Expansive Downtown Guelph

Burrows is definitely a really exciting group. Dustin the guitarist is really inspired by Jeff Parker in Tortoise and has opened solo for Don Ross another inspiration. I'm really excited to see that band on this bill. I attended one of their rehearsals the other day and it was really enlightening. They have a really soft, tone oriented style that may remind some of one side of The Slip at points (in terms of the heartwarming aspect).

This show was one of the strangest we've played.

8 beats into soundcheck and my bass head dies....I find one in town but we don't get a proper soundcheck.

KB player has wonky cable at same time.

Our soundguy gets ridiculously sick right before we go on and has to be picked up and taken to the hospital.

3 tunes into our set our drummer's kick pedal breaks. He 'fixes' it only to have it cack out again. Several well covered minutes go oby while Vanderpark finds theirs and lends it to our cause.

In short this set was a battle and one I believe we won.

Both Burrows and Vanderpark played good sets to receptive crowds.

All in all we had about 165 people through the place that stayed with us through the hard times and the good.

Not an easy room to hold down even in the kindest of situations, but I'd say it was a success.

Deeps

It was definately a great show Deeps, nothing but positive reviews coming from people that were there...wicked energy coming from you guys and from the crowd, everyone was really into it.

Burrows were awsome (looking forward to seeing them again) and Vaderpark definately shined.

Great show all in all!

The funny part was that I didn't realize all that had happened and started flipping the band the bird a la Golden Dogs. Brooks looked at me and mouthed 'not a good time'. We all know how much I like being put in my place, but then I realized the mayhem. You really wouldn't have known. Funny that it was their big hometown gig.