Jambands.ca

The Dave Show (Lauzon article)

zero

No flames from me; I liked the article. (The one thing I think might have made it better would have been at least some commentary on what the music sounded like to you, zero, but I realize the limitations you were under. As it was, I think the descriptions given in the article give enough to at least interest someone familiar with the other artists that were mentioned.)

Aloha,

Brad

Yeah I was just nervous about it Mainly due to Lara I think!

I did want to reference jambands.ca the community specifically but it was sort of extraneous to the flow.

Anytime you can reference this site in another publication is an INCREDIBLY good thing. IF you ever need an idea on how to delicately connect an article to this site, I've got a million of them ;)

Jay seriously that is so incredibly lame of you. I don't even know who you're pointing a finger at. I wrote an article- a very good article about JSB this summer in the Echo. We discussed at the time whether it would preclude covering them for the CD release and it was a possibility (you can typically only run a profile on the same artist maybe once every six months). I thought on it and really wanted to write about Lauzon more. What because Shain fucking Shapiro wrote what is arguably a very good article in a different market I owe someone something. It's a totally different paper, market, writer. Dumb remark Jay.

Let's take it a step further. I referenced JSB in the article - twice. The article identifies JSB as another 'baby thrown out with the bathwater'. The entire second paragraph is equally true of JSB and the connection is made explicitly. Moreover promoting the support act has the exact same effect as supporting the headliner- getting people to the club. Again dumb remark Jay.

I will curb my tongue (not exactly my style) and reserve judgment for JSB's new album 'til I've heard it. I just wasn't feeling writing about them again. I will say I and others are beginning to feel you overly rely as a promoter on people doing your leg work for you whether in terms of street teams, venue liaison, let's add in terms of the Slip press release vetting and word of mouth. I'd say while I'm really grateful to you and Shane for bringing the Slip to Guelph I think it's safe to say I'll be doing most of if not all the promoting in this area- doing your work for you where you stand to gain (or perhaps lose- such is risk and reward).

Edited by Guest

Yoiks.

There's gonna be a mixup tonight at the Vinyl. I'm wearing plastic.

Was JSB on the cover of the Echo in the summer or was it just a feature?

Either way...with a small publication like the echo there is no way that there would be another major coverage of one of their shows (cd release or not) in the same year.

Agreed poorly placed crit by the Jaydawg, but he don't live in guelph so maybe he din't know.

Carry on.

Luke, that was an intelligent and warm piece.

In your situation, having not heard much if any of Dave's solo stuff, you really took what you had and made it shine. I really liked the way you described the jamband scene. Personally, I find it hard to describe, folks start to glaze over as soon as I say the words...you were able to share the complexity and sophistication that we all know and love.

Awesome.

Jay

I actually busted my ass trying to get a story in The Ottawa Xpress on JSB, and just couldn't get my editor to bite.

Thats beside the point. Shain has written stories on JSB, so have I in the past. Luke wrote one just recently. Did we receive any recognition thanks? I dont know about Shain and Luke but I didn't. But you'll bitch when the story isn't about JSB.

Even so, we dont do it for the recognition or thanks. JSB doesn't further our careers, all the latest indie bands do. So why do we write about JSB? Because we love the music and some of us include the band in our friends.

But yes, everyone has favourites and interests, even the editors who ultimately make the final decision in what gets covered.

Jay

I actually busted my ass trying to get a story in The Ottawa Xpress on JSB, and just couldn't get my editor to bite.

Thats beside the point. Shain has written stories on JSB, so have I in the past. Luke wrote one just recently. Did we receive any recognition thanks? I dont know about Shain and Luke but I didn't. But you'll bitch when the story isn't about JSB.

Even so, we dont do it for the recognition or thanks. JSB doesn't further our careers, all the latest indie bands do. So why do we write about JSB? Because we love the music and some of us include the band in our friends.

But yes, everyone has favourites and interests, even the editors who ultimately make the final decision in what gets covered.

well put.

...are you mad at this point?

This is the second article about Dave Lauzon .. when the real story is The Jimmy Swift Band release a CD that they've been working on for 2 years.

Which is an entirely legitimite point.

or this one?

Everyone plays favorites I guess.

also...

you overly rely as a promoter on people doing your leg work for you whether in terms of street teams, venue liaison

I wish this were true... I've had only a few street team volunteers, nothing consistent; I've done most everything myself with exception to Will aka SmoothedShredder who has been one of the most helpful and consistent friend I have had. I think I have treated everyone fairly.. if not please stand up.

p.s. see you tonight

I find it very interesting that you guys feel that it is upto me to to provide a thank you... I never asked any of you to write a story, nor did I know that you had pitched the story to your editors.

I do however appreciate all the support people have given me and projects I have worked on. I just don't know what you are trying to say "Kitkat," it sounds like an attack on my character. Now that I know that you did try to pitch an article, I'm thankful.

I like Dave Lauzon and his music, and I've worked hard to bring him to Toronto, in short there just hasn't been the right opportunity. I wish we could have had him on the bill as a part of the Toronto show, however those were not my decisions. I think that Dave is crazy talented and it's unfortunate that a band like The Jimmy Swift Band doesn get press for their CD Release Party. This is no slight against Dave, I'm just pointing out that it's the second article written about Dave. I say only a few words and it get blown out of proportion.

I look forward to talking to Luke and Dave about this tonight.

-j

Flame on
Edited by Guest

that was a great article, luke. can't please everyone all the time i guess...it did seem like you were just warming up when the article ended..."it takes me 300 words just to clear my throat."

brilliant.

the only thing that i would even think of taking umbrage with is a line in a paragraph that i otherwise completely agree with...

While the majority of jambands are admittedly not very distinguished, there are a handful of groups that get the label tossed at them (including the Jimmy Swift Band whose CD release show Lauzon is playing in support of), precluding their acceptance in at least the broader music journalism community.

although having said that, it does help to set up your point about JSB and mr lauzon being largely ignored by the "music press."

can't wait for the next one.

I find it very interesting that you guys feel that it is upto me to to provide a thank you... I never asked any of you to write a story, nor did I know that you had pitched the story to your editors.

It's not your job to thank them, but therefore it might not be your job to call them out on a perceived bias, either.

With that said and as someone who has done promoting in the past, I can certainly see your frustration. There's only so much publicity that gets thrown towards this particular "scene," and it can be frustrating when you see what you view as an imbalance in how that tiny piece of the pie is divied up.

Funny, though, if this was happening on the East Coast and Craig Mercer (solo) was opening up for an Ontario band, you can bet that the opener would be getting "more" publicity in that case as well.