Jambands.ca

Iggy badmouths the Bush Administration!

Birdy

Yay! Another public official bad mouths the administration of Canada's largest trading partner!! Until I read the article i'm about to quote, i didn't think the guy was half bad.

So i'm sitting here in a freezing cold warehouse-like building in Toronto breathing in car fumes, bored out of my skull, reading the front page of the Globe and Mail and here is what i see:

George W. Bush has been a disaster and Michael Ignatieff wants the world to know that he is no supporter of the U.S. President or American imperial ambition.

"This president has been a disaster for the authority and the influence of the United States," the Liberal leadership candidate told Globe and Mail columnist Lawrence Martin, using his toughest language yet in distancing himself from the U.S. administration.

Mr. Ignatieff acknowledged his support for the 2003 invasion of Iraq, which has been a point of vulnerability in the Liberal race, but offered this defence: "I take full responsiblity for not having anticipated how incompetent the Americans would be."

*sigh*

You know, i too think the American administration consists of big headed boneheads, but there is definitely something to be said about diplomacy and tact and those who possess it and practice it. Sometimes, in the interest of other things (ie, TRADE relationships), it's best to keep your big yap shut. I find this kind of behaviour from our public officials particularly disgraceful.

Sometimes, in the interest of other things (ie, TRADE relationships), it's best to keep your big yap shut. I find this kind of behaviour from our public officials particularly disgraceful.

Because as we all know, there's no higher value to be pursued in life than helping people with gobs of money, no matter how lunkheaded, getting more of it, at any price.

lol

sorry to dissapoint! i like a good self-cutting story.

Because as we all know, there's no higher value to be pursued in life than helping people with gobs of money, no matter how lunkheaded, getting more of it, at any price.

I don't see how this has anything to do with my point, Doc. I'm talking about your duty as a politician to act diplomatically, especially when you are aspiring to a position that very well could make you the Prime Minister of this country. It's good to have emotion, but to have reason to garner that emotion is better.

"This president has been a disaster for the authority and the influence of the United States,"

You find that:

disgraceful.

?

Puh-lease. People in Bush's own Party have said that.

And if you think a few comments by an MP have any effect on the trading relationship, you underestimate that strength of the relationship.

You're anti-Liberal bias is shining through again.

breathing in car fumes

Well, at least that explains a few things.

I actually Like Ignatieff now! It's the first good move he's made in this leadership race. Right On! More of that!

In one foul swoop he has admitted he was flawed in supporting the Iraq invasion, and got us back on track by voiceing his dislike/distain for the brutal Bush administration.

I for one am happy to take a tade hit to distance ourselves form American ideals/foriegn policy. If it means the economy suffers somewhat. It's worth it. We will recover. And remeber the American need us as much as we need them. They just don't admit it.

Time to stop living in fear. Fear is the Bush admistrations' biggest weapon. Fuck them!

kill_bush.jpgnostradamus.jpg

Edited by Guest

"This president has been a disaster for the authority and the influence of the United States,"

You find that:

disgraceful.

?

Puh-lease. People in Bush's own Party have said that.

And if you think a few comments by an MP have any effect on the trading relationship, you underestimate that strength of the relationship.

You're anti-Liberal bias is shining through again.

breathing in car fumes

Well, at least that explains a few things.

of all people to comment on a bias!!!

hux, if stephen harper himself broke out this talk, i would have posted the exact same thing.

Sometimes, in the interest of other things (ie, TRADE relationships), it's best to keep your big yap shut. I find this kind of behaviour from our public officials particularly disgraceful.

Watch yourself! If you're not careful, smoothedshredder will accuse you of thinking that you believe that freedom of speech only applies to you and not to others. After all, that's what he accused me of when I pointed out that Harper should comment on what Liberal *leaders* think instead of what Liberal leaadership *contenders* think. I think I even used the phrase "shut his yap".

FWIW though, I agree with you. Attacking American foreign policy is one thing; doing it just to pander to the portion of your electorate that you haven't yet appealed to is something else.

I don't trust Ignatieff as far as I could throw him, and I probably couldn't even pick him up.

Watch yourself! If you're not careful, smoothedshredder will accuse you of thinking that you believe that freedom of speech only applies to you and not to others.

maybe free speech includes speaking for yourself and not putting words in other people's mouths?

To be fair, Hamilton's got my view point down. Thanks for representing while I was out :). Which is good, cause at least I got MY view point heard, and I guess I can't really ask for anything more! Thanks again.

I'm all for opinions, and critical thinking... not for emotionally driven, skeptical, non-constructive thought (and it's really hard not to be skeptical of one liners and punch line style commentary cause of the anonymous nature of the internet, and for this I'm sorry, I'm no great internet bridge builder... yet). I think hearing others positions, and having a stance and reaching personal conclusions is important. I also think being flexible and being able to change ones mind is very important. The ability for a group to agree to disagree is also very important. Knowing where people stand is important in only so their actions can be somewhat predictable. As far as the consequence of Ignatieffs' comments, sure it leads to chillier relations...

It really too bad that we have to have a rational debate on weather is fair to debate. I find it hard to ignore the evidence of the current American Administration and to say with a straight face that we all should not be concerned with how they do business, and should not challenge their authority and their methods through whatever diplomatic means possible. Therefore in relation to Ignatieffs' comments, I would say it was a fair play.

I think Harper has challenged the American Administration in a certain way, and Ignatieff is doing in a way mutually exclusive from Harpers techniques. Either way we are headed down the road towards distinguishing ourselves from the American Economy (vs. integrating ourselves), and either way we will be rewarded in the global market.

I also know people would disagree with that assertion. They could just as easily believe that Ignatieff would distinguish Canada more, and Harper less, or even may be integrating. And that to is a fair viewpoint. I'll leave it to the democracy to decide... now how are we going to get 100% voter turnouts, and a more constructive and civil Parliament... it makes me sad to see them acting like school children all the time.

In one foul swoop he has admitted he was flawed in supporting the Iraq invasion, and got us back on track by voiceing his dislike/distain for the brutal Bush administration.

But he didn't really admit that he was wrong to support the war - only that he wouldn't have supported it if he knew how badly the Americans would fuck it up. It stands to reason that if the Americans had done a better job, he would still stand by his original position, which is one that I cannot in good conscience agree with. Invading a nation under false pretences is wrong, regardless of how good a job the invading army does. Actually, invading a nation under *most* pretences is wrong.

I think Harper has challenged the American Administration in a certain way...

I must admit that Harper has done a lot less American ass-kissing than I had expected out of his administration, and has challenged the Americans more times on issues than I would have expected too. He also managed to do it without the histrionics of some other politicians.

I think Harper has challenged the American Administration in a certain way...

I must admit that Harper has done a lot less American ass-kissing than I had expected out of his administration' date=' and has challenged the Americans more times on issues than I would have expected too. He also managed to do it without the histrionics of some other politicians.[/quote']

Though he seems to want to do a bit of obvious apeing with the motorcade.

Black SUV adds presidential air to Harper's motorcade

Tim Naumetz, CanWest News Service; Ottawa Citizen

Published: Monday, May 22, 2006

OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper's motorcade has acquired a presidential look.

But one MP says the big black SUV now cruising at the rear of the entourage is a bit too remindful of President George W. Bush.

And its gas-chugging potential raises other issues, even for a prime minister who ditched the Kyoto accord, says New Democrat Pat Martin.

The SUV surfaced two weeks ago behind the armoured limousine, and a lead car, that ferries Harper about town. The motorcade takes Harper even from his Langevin Building office across Wellington Street to his Centre Block space on Parliament Hill.

The drivers are armed RCMP officers, but the addition of the SUV makes the entire motorcade look like a Secret Service operation.

Bush has had black SUVs in his motorcade for several years.

The 320-horsepower V8 Chevrolet Tahoe now embedded in Harper's parade is made in the U.S. GM Canada truck plants assemble Silverado pickups.

As has been said of the SUVs in Bush's procession, the new black wheels add an air of intimidation to Harper's motorcade.

"It looks like something Darth Vader would be driving," says Martin. "We've got this gas-guzzling behemoth touring around with the prime minister. It looks tough, it looks quasi-military. Is that the kind of image the prime minister wants to project?"

A spokesman for Harper said the RCMP is in charge of security measures.

"All security stuff for the prime minister, we don't have much say on it," explained press aide Dimitri Soudas. "I don't know what they do, why they do it, how they do it."

An RCMP media officer said the force cannot comment on security provisions for the prime minister.

Officials at the Defence Department and Emergency Preparedness Canada could not say whether security levels have changed because of Canada's decision to engage an army battle group against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Ottawa Citizen

© CanWest News Service 2006