Jambands.ca

FFQoTD: Top 3 fave chips/chip related snack

Davey Boy 2.0

• 3 months later...

Canadian Press TORONTO What happens when you put someone in a room to snack on potato chips while watching a David Letterman monologue on television? The person eats 44 per cent more chips than someone who has the same snack food but isn't watching TV, according to an unusual study presented last week at the Endocrine Society's annual meeting in Toronto.

And if it's Jay Leno, Mr. Letterman's late-night talk-show rival, on the tube, there's a 42-per-cent increase in potato chip consumption.

Lead researcher Alan Hirsch says the study was part of ongoing research into what he calls "sensory-specific satiety" - the idea that if you pay attention to how food tastes you feel full faster and eat less.

Dr. Hirsch, neurological director of the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation of Chicago, said the researchers wanted to see whether a person distracted by TV, for instance, would eat more.

"So what we did was we weighed potato chips and we had people eat potato chips, either while doing nothing for five minutes or while watching a Jay Leno monologue for five minutes or a David Letterman monologue," he said in an interview from Chicago before heading to Toronto for the annual meeting.

"And what we found is they ate 44 per cent more chips watching Letterman, and 42 per cent more while watching Leno. So the idea is . . . that if you want to lose weight, either turn off the television while you're eating or you watch a boring television show." Thirty-three men and 12 women were enrolled in the study. Ninety-one per cent said they enjoy potato chips, and they were not told the true nature of the study. They served as their own controls.

Over three weeks, each was presented with chips and put in a room - once without TV, once with the Late Show with David Letterman , and once with the Tonight Show with Jay Leno .

"They were told we were studying flavour of chips, and they could have as much or as little as they wanted, but they had to be there for a five-minute period," Dr. Hirsch said.

Although the Letterman and Leno late-night programs were chosen for this study, he expects that findings would be similar for programs throughout the day.

"Anything that distracts you from paying attention to the sensory characteristics of the food will allow you to eat more," he said.

People trying to lose weight should have conversations with people they find less interesting as they eat, he advised jokingly.

the kettle chips are killers, the salt an freshgroundpepper with some dip, even just spicy hummus makes a GREAT dip with them.

my old timey lays fav was always the ruffled sour cream and onion, it just caked your mouth, ugh, sooo good back in the day, not so much anymore lol

i like those multigrain tostitos, holy fack are they salty.

• 1 month later...

No you shouldnt. I love it when this thread gets knocked up. In the past couple of months, I have been riding this craving. Heck, LJFH mocked the snot out of me until she had one. One is all it took.

Make sure you get the ones with the salt encrusted on the outside of the pretzel. FACK!

comboschedar.jpg

I only know of one spot in Ottawa and they didnt always have them. It is near my old building at 90 Elgin, on Slater inside the building that does the recruitment for the Canadian Armed Forces.

You would be surprised how many young kids I saw perusing that joint. I always expected it to be empty but more often than not there were always 2-4 kids in there talking to officers.