Jambands.ca

Even Rats - what the song means

bouche

I'm not sure if Even Rats lyrics has been discussed, but I found this post on the Guitar Hero board. It's a response from Jason Booth to some knob...

If we're talking lyrics that award goes to Even Rats. WTF where they thinking when they wrote lyrics to that song o.O

"even the rats know the troubles gun' come

to the edge of the city see the other guy comin

I heard springs nice in canada"

seriously...wtf o.O

Well' date=' your quote is a bit off, but if you read the actual lyrics, they're about brad (guitarist) and andrew (drummer) moving to canada after bush won the last election, and thier general feeling of the politics and lack of choice in this country (democrat, republican; they're all bought by the same companies anyway). I can see how someone would get lost in the words not having the full context, but once you know the context, they make a lot more sense and actually make a statement about the times we live in. Try reading them again with that in mind.

even the rats know the troubles gonna come

to the edge of the city see the little guys run

I hear spring is nice in Canada

maybe the men up on capitol hill

need a little less Jack and a little more Jill

you can have my stereo

even though the race may never be won

I can lay like a dandy get heavy in the sun

take a love song and beatify

I hear the words but the meaning gets lost

it's a game, it depends on who the ball gets tossed

it's the same ball anyway

your tuggin' me now cut me loose or take me on

you can play, you can pay the piper all night long

that's some good home cookin'

even though the race may never be won

I can lay like a dandy get heavy in the sun

take a love song and beatify[/quote']

I mean if anyone would know it would be Booth. Still I think there's not a definitive reductionist logic to the song. I mean people first called it Little More Jack (Little Less Jill) - is it the same as Cowboy Up too. Think about those alternate titles. I mean placing it in the context of the election and their move is sound. I take the Capitol Hill line on it's face- more women representation on the hill. But would it be Nancy Pelosi or some female version of Barack Obama?

I believe Cowboy Up is a different instrumental altogether.

I'll go out on a limb and say that while the chord changes in Even Rats are mesmerizing, Brad's vocal treatment in the verses is pretty hurting. I'm looking forward to a studio version to see how that came out.

I mean if anyone would know it would be Booth. Still I think there's not a definitive reductionist logic to the song. I mean people first called it Little More Jack (Little Less Jill) - is it the same as Cowboy Up too. Think about those alternate titles. I mean placing it in the context of the election and their move is sound. I take the Capitol Hill line on it's face- more women representation on the hill. But would it be Nancy Pelosi or some female version of Barack Obama?

Yeah, "a little less testosterone and a little more oestrogen" would probably not have the same rhythm and it definately sounds like the concrete implementation of the Jack/Jill abstraction.