Jambands.ca

The Slip - Eisenhower [Advance]

balogna pogna

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it goes without saying that it made me cry as well. The Slip has been the soundtrack through which I've weathered so much sadness and loss. To sort of feel like you're coming out of the end of that tunnel (maybe the beginning of another)- to feel like they are also coming out of the tunnel as a band is incredibly inspiring (and heartbreaking).

The disc is fantastic.

Wow' date=' you guys [u']all like it?! [color:purple]I'm totally amazed.

i know, it's crazy when people like good songs, eh? shocking.

i'd love to hear what the cully's, low roller's, and schwa's of the world have to say once (if?) they give it a listen...

Well, my plan on waiting lasted just over 24 hours. I got jealous of everybody else listening to it.

If One Of Us Should Fall sounds outstanding. But I'm not a big fan of the synth pads/fake sounding string section in the background. Takes away from the organic feel of the song.

This is a very slick production. And that line about "the most cohesive work of their career" is 100% true.

Fucking eh!

I haven't downloaded it, will not download, and will cover my ears, saying "Nah nah nah nah, I can't hear you , nah nah nah..." if I happen to be in the presence of someone blaring it through a sound system before it's officially released.

I take this position not because of any sense of idealism, it's just that I don't want Booche to hate me.

Aloha,

Brad

If One Of Us Should Fall sounds outstanding. But I'm not a big fan of the synth pads/fake sounding string section in the background. Takes away from the organic feel of the song.

The "strings" struck me when I heard them, but they are so weak in the mix that they are completely tolerable to me. They aren't the "long and winding road" strings by any means, and not even close to Trey's strings. They're very subtle.

The build at the end of Paper Birds is killer - Anthem for a 17 year girl or not. I especially like the listing of a bunch of their song titles in the lyrics (that's an old Sting favourite trick)... "your Mothwing Bite, your Paper Birds, your Lonely Boy, your Soft Machine"...

I especially like the listing of a bunch of their song titles in the lyrics (that's an old Sting favourite trick)... "your Mothwing Bite, your Paper Birds, your Lonely Boy, your Soft Machine"...

I've found that kind of annoying when I've heard it live. ("OK, he's listing his own titles...what does this have to do with the rest of the lyrics of the song?")

Aloha,

Brad

The build at the end of Paper Birds is killer - Anthem for a 17 year girl or not. I especially like the listing of a bunch of their song titles in the lyrics (that's an old Sting favourite trick)... "your Mothwing Bite, your Paper Birds, your Lonely Boy, your Soft Machine"...

That's a great comparison, but I can't think of the stingy examples. Isn't this referenced somewhere?

"Do I have to tell the story

Of a thousand rainy days since we first met

It's a big enough umbrella

But it's always me that ends up getting wet"

Also, did you know that "I want my MTV" was sung by Sting exactly like "Don't Stand So Close to Me"