Jambands.ca

Anybody checkin' out Vegoose webcast?

Wassink Wild Card!

the problem with trey playing with phil is that in every setting trey tends to take over, which goes againt phil's whole notion of band improvisation. in almost every situation the band he plays with seems to become a backing band for trey's wankery. it's a shame that the mix turned out so poorly on the webcast as larry campbell's guitar was almost completely inaudible while trey's guitar seemed to be at the forefront of the mix. i'm not sure that this is how it sounded at the actual festival and the same thing happened with rich robinson for the black crowes' webcast on saturday night. oh, and it doesn't help that the stage was dominated by some of the worst vocalists in the business, but i guess vegoose had to do something to keep ticket sales high for the festival. i personally would've prefered to have the normal phil and friends lineup with joan on vocals and barry sless on pedal steel, but i suppose this lineup didn't turn out to be a complete disaster. i think the underrated performer in the whole set was medeski. i thought his keyboards/organs shined throughout the set.

listen, I realize I may have a rep of dogging on Trey the past couple of years but it's not entirely true. My take on him is that the guy is trying new things, working with different musicians - commendable ambitions. He's a working musician, and it's just that from my perspective not much he has done has worked, but at least he's trying. I'm just not buying what he's currently selling. But I still check him out because I haven't totally lost faith in him yet.

But what I saw last night was just bad playing. Not little flubs or mistakes, just bad, bad musicianship. I was blown away at how degraded his skills were last night. Bum notes and hesitant, clipped phrases galore in his playing, and vocally he was a complete shambles. He didn't seem to pay any attention to anyone else's contributions. And he performed as though he'd be sure to be the last to get the memo.

It was just depressing. What happened to this guy?

Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins, on the other hand, were delightful. And together, musically.

Trey has not played this well in years..he was playing Grateful Dead tunes (which I don't think suit his guitar technique, Kimock/Herring are so much better at this style of music) His solo stuff is amazing right now, so funky and hes is ripping it up.