Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Greg Keelor / Sadies tonight in Ottawa

AD

that was an awesome show. keelor really suprised me, very strong new stuff, 3 or 4 blue rodeo tunes (day after day, diamond mine, lost together, hasn't hit me yet). sadies were a solid backing band (big shock there, ha) for Keelor.

Fun show. Would go see Keelor again, even if the sadies weren't his band.

AD

heard most of the album live last night, very impressed. some pretty standard stuff, but some really good interesting stuff too. his voice sounded better last night than all the times i've seen blue rodeo.

i like the unintended too... but personally (IMO) rick white is more talented that the others and i greatly enjoy anything he does.

Nope, just the two nights of the festival. I saw the first day of the Sappy Fest, the day before I flew to Europe. And I think I promised AD a review...

The late show/electric half of the first night was held in the old movie theatre in Sackville and they (apparently) had some grounding issues that were blamed for perhaps the worst sound I've ever heard at an event this size. The buzz from the PA was actually louder than some of the soft moments of the show! It was total amateur-hour as far as the sound crew was concerned. And it really took away from the show IMO.

Moonsocket opened (ET alumni Chris Thompson). Julie joined Snailhouse (billed as "Snailhouse", but really just Mike Feuerstack solo) for some Wooden Stars songs. Rick White played a 45 minute tribute to Syd Barrett solo set that went over most people's heads. Just incredible! Julie played a set backed by Shotgun&Jaybird. Then Eric's Trip reunited and played a loooooong set marred by technical difficulties and sloppy playing. The crowd ate it up, but I wasn't overly impressed. From what I was told, they were in much better form when they headlined the final night of the festival.

Rick should really get out and play more, issues or not. His Elevator work and solo stuff is MILES ahead of Eric's Trip, and ET was the creme de la creme for a large portion of my life.

Also, Julie with Shotgun + Jaybird at the Rainbow on Nov 12 in Ottawa, with Woolly Leaves and Poorfolk.

the show in vancouver was great - but a poor choice for a promoter to book a sunday night at the commodore with so much great competition and great daytime weather.

When the Sadies backed Andre there was something far larger about their sound in the mix. the room didn't resonate as much as the stage did.

Anyhow, I'm glad to have gone. it was a really fun night out with my girl and a good friend.

It definitely felt a whole lot like home.

Rick should really get out and play more, issues or not. His Elevator work and solo stuff is MILES ahead of Eric's Trip, and ET was the creme de la creme for a large portion of my life.

Also, Julie with Shotgun + Jaybird at the Rainbow on Nov 12 in Ottawa, with Woolly Leaves and Poorfolk.

Getting out is the issue. I used to live with Rick at Queen and Bathurst. He suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. The guy is a mess on a good day. For the 6 or 8 months my g/f and I lived there I think Rick only left the house 3 times total and all 3 times were to play wih Greg at the Horseshoe. Greg's girlfriend Kate is a school friend of "ours*" and we spend a fair amount of time out at the farm. We have been trying to get Rick to the farm for years. Greg also owns that apt I speak of and allows musicians to stay there. It was awesome to come home every night to a jam in the living room or just Rick sitting listenin to CBC radio (which is all the guy does) and hearing his stories of meeting so and so or playing with this guy or that guy. He truly is a kind soul, he just needs help and can't get it.

A funny Rick story... When he was home (Moncton) in the summer, he brought this huge, archaic piece of recording gear over to a friend of mine's place so he could transfer over his "lost" home recordings to digital. Apparently there's hours and hours of unreleased material.

Dave-o theres probablly hours more beyond that too. All recorded on a 4 track. That's all the guy does.

AD last I talked to him was before the summer and that was what his plans were. He said he was feeling better and ready to go out. Iwonder what has happend. He was supposed to be back playing with Tara in another group, maybe even her band, thats why I asked in the earlier post. Maybe I'm gonna hop the GO train today and make a trip I should have made months ago.