Jambands.ca

SCI - Done

StoneMtn

Someone just emailed me to tell me String Cheese Incident is breaking up.

I haven't looked online to confirm this, but it's being discussed in a thread in some SCI board somewhere right now.

So, I guess this is some seriously tragic news to some people; and a welcome relief for some others. (The latter does not include me BTW. I like them, and I enjoy them live, but I've never been a "Cheese Head".)

Aw well. Too bad (assuming it's true.)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviews from the current tour have been very positive. They did have a bit of a break last year. Kang went off to Aftrica, and the others had side projects. Maybe they need another, or maybe they won't be SCI 100% of the time.

I think that they reached their peak audience size and now have to settle back into the realization that that is where they are at. They won't become a stadium/arena band. Do the best with what you can support.

moe. has done a great job at the realization of what kind of venues work for them and their audience.

I love SCI and I wish them future success and hopefully talk about that Summer Tour next year comes together.

Later . ..

Kanada Kev =8)

np: Endless Wire - The Who

I think that they reached their peak audience size and now have to settle back into the realization that that is where they are at. They won't become a stadium/arena band. Do the best with what you can support.

moe. has done a great job at the realization of what kind of venues work for them and their audience.

Yeah, and I think moe. is living the perfect dream if they can continue that way. What moe. is doing is what bands should strive for.

Why do bands feel the need to "announce a hiatus" all of the time? Why can't they just quietly not book a tour? And is there any real difference between just taking some time off and having a hiatus?

The thing is, SCI hasn't announced anything. This is all just based on rumours and has been hyped up on message boards (such as this one).

Unfortunately, none of this significant bands in this scene have the luxury of quietly not booking some dates. If a band like SCI or moe. were to try and quietly not book a perennial tour or festival, people would make a huge deal about it (and attach the "hiatus" label), because so many people spend so much time online discussing every little tidbit that comes out about a band, whether true or not.

Just out of curiosity...did the Dead announce that they were taking a break or maybe even quitting in the 70's? I know we all know about it now but did they say anything back then? Or was it just a break to work on all the albums that came out shortly after the break?

The Dead took a hiatus in late '74-75. Jerry worked on the GD movie and Bobby joined Kingfish.